Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

Interesting Construction Project

The basis behind this question is with regarding a property I am interested in purchasing and need some opinions from people involved in construction for some options.
The building is a church that was built in 1888 and over the years has been converted to a community center and now for sale and my plan would be to convert it to single family residential. Putting aside permits and all that we are talking about structure.
The main room is 25 feet by 45 feet with 30 feet ceilings and the intent would be to build a "loft" style level within part of that space, however the flooring is slightly wavey; we can assume in the most few inches drop across the room. It has a hardwood floor that is need of repair so we assume that will be completely removed to the joists which I think are 4inch thick (height unsure).
My main concern is how I can level that floor for finishing as well so I can build a loft within the space.
25 feet is the width and in the rooms below that space there is the main beam that runs the 45 feet.
I want to look at other options than jacking up parts of the floor as the rooms under will be used and I cant have jacks everywhere so all ideas and suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks

Crzy_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Find a good architect & Engineer in your area. Most likely Steel would be spec'd for what you are wanting to do.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

You could shim or sister the low joists.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

I was thinking of adding sister joists for each of the low ones. Would it be appropriate if needed to have the sister joist rest on a shim ontop of the beams to bring them to the correct height if needed?
Crzy_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

The shim would have to be a steel plate. Best to talk to a Structural Engineer to see what really needs to be done, then go with their assessment.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzy_Canuck View Post
I was thinking of adding sister joists for each of the low ones. Would it be appropriate if needed to have the sister joist rest on a shim ontop of the beams to bring them to the correct height if needed?
Certainly. It's common practice. Different thicknesses of plywood work well. Tack them so that they can't slip out, and make sure they are big enough to catch the whole area where the joist lays on the beam.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote