Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

insulation upside down -- not!

Two different home inspectors flagged the insulation in the attic of our new home as a problem area on the basis that it was upside down (vapor barrier on top).

Well, turns out this isn't the case. I picked up a piece of it today, and the vapor barrier is definitely down. It's a thick, tough membrane of some sort, probably asphalt paper. There is some other sort of paper on the other three sides. I guess it was to help with itchyness on the install or something.

One more check in the "completed" column!

Still needs more. It looks like it was R-11 when put in and probably only half that now.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Actually, I think there was at one time insulation available that had double sided vapor barrier. This isn't something you're going to find anymore because this is a good way to trap moisture. The function of the vapor barrier should be to keep vapor from passing through one side while allowing it to exit the other.

I had some of this stuff, and the stuff was in attic space with no ventilation. I suspect it was doing little if anything, it had clearlly lost thickness. Moisture degrades fiberglass insulation performance, it will compress which also degrades insulation.. Mine went into the garbage.

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

This stuff definitely has different facing on the bottom. The other three sides are all more like tissue paper -- the stuff they used to make sewing patterns from.

Anyway, I think I'll leave mine be and have someone spray cellulose on top.

Need to do some electrical first, and install some bathroom fan ducts.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #4

We had that around here, in the early '70's, kraft paper all sides with asphalt only on the one face. Didn't fill the stud bay corners, left air chutes for degrading it; The "biggest loser" in fiberglass insulation....

Gary
Old 02-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

Yeah, that's exactly it -- not quite as wide as the bays. I was thinking the stuff had shrunk up.

It will be good to get a nice uniform blanket up there before we start paying for heating and cooling.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
This stuff definitely has different facing on the bottom. The other three sides are all more like tissue paper -- the stuff they used to make sewing patterns from.

Anyway, I think I'll leave mine be and have someone spray cellulose on top.

Need to do some electrical first, and install some bathroom fan ducts.
unrelated but how do you plan on installing the fan ducts for the bathroom? i have the same issue now
federer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post
unrelated but how do you plan on installing the fan ducts for the bathroom? i have the same issue now
Cut a hole in the ceiling and put the fan in, run power to it (maybe just connect it to the light so it runs whenever the light is on because my wife doesn't like to run the fan).

The duct goes over to the soffet. I'm not sure of the detail there, but there is another duct that goes similarly so I'll look at that one.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Cut a hole in the ceiling and put the fan in, run power to it (maybe just connect it to the light so it runs whenever the light is on because my wife doesn't like to run the fan).

The duct goes over to the soffet. I'm not sure of the detail there, but there is another duct that goes similarly so I'll look at that one.
thanks for the reply. i got the power already-the problem is i dont know where to run the duct to because my walls are masonry. i guess through the overhang/fascia board works?

federer is online now   Reply With Quote