Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |

Insulation in the rafters

Right above the family room in a two story house is a second family room. The floors are separated by beams of rafters. Is it ok to put insulation between these rafters? Do I need to worry about moisture build up?

genner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

You can insulate between the two floors, just don't put up a vapor barrier. While you've got it opened up, use spray foam around the rim joists and insulate the rim joists really well. Also, if you see any heat ducts, seal the seams with metal tape. Are you going to use an insulation that also helps soundproof between the two rooms?

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rafters support roofs. Joists support floors. Rafters don't separate floors, so I'm a little confused about where you want to insulate.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

yes sorry I mean the floor joists...

So what type of insulation is recommended to install between these joists without vapor/moister barriers? However I'd like to have it be soundproof if possible.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #5

gma2rjc

I would like to have it somewhat soundproof is possible.
So by saying rim joist, are you referring to the joist and the plywood that's on top of it, the edge it creates inside between the joists? like the "T" shape those corners? I now I'm a newbie!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #6

oh are there certain materials for these insulations that will lessen the amount of rodents likely to travel in between these joists?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #7

Sorry it took me so long to respond genner. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

As far as soundproofing is concerned, if you live in or near Canada, the Roxul Safe & Sound insulation is suppose to work well. In the U.S., ask at your local hardware store about soundproofing insulation, it might be something you have to special-order. I haven't seen it at Home Depot or Lowe's, but my nephew got his at Lowe's and used it to soundproof his music room in his basement. His wife said she hardly hears his band practicing when she's upstairs. Do a search on this forum about soundproofing, that should give you some information. There are also other products on the market for soundproofing other than insulation.

I'm not sure about your question regarding insulation and rodents. I think if you seal everything up pretty well, they shouldn't be able to get between the joists. You could ask about that in the 'Pest Control' forum.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #8

Hello gma2rjc

No worries on the delay I really appreciate the help!

Now the Outer long rim joist already has fiberglass insulation around it. Will it be a waste if I were to still seal the top and bottom of the rim joist with foam then put back the fiber glass insulation?

And hopefully my last question...

In the joists that are in the inner parts of the room, I do plan to put some sort of insulation between the joists. Is foaming in the joists seams necessary as well?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Now the Outer long rim joist already has fiberglass insulation around it. Will it be a waste if I were to still seal the top and bottom of the rim joist with foam then put back the fiber glass insulation?
I don't think it would be a waste of time at all. Especially if it keeps cold air and bugs from coming in.
Quote:
In the joists that are in the inner parts of the room, I do plan to put some sort of insulation between the joists. Is foaming in the joists seams necessary as well?
Are you talking about where the full length of the top of the joist meets the sub floor above it? As far as I know, you wouldn't put foam there. You would just put the insulation between the joists. Before you insulate, if you have any heat ducts that go through the joist bays, this would be a good time to wrap the seams with metal tape (but not duct tape ). If you have any water pipes that go through or between the joists, get some of those foam tubes with the slit going down one side (in the plumbing dept. at the store) and wrap those around the pipes and tape the seams so the pipes don't sweat and drip water in your insulation and then down onto your ceiling. If you need the foam tubes, measure the size of the water pipes and about how long the pipes are so you'll know how many packages to buy.

Do you have recessed lighting between any of the joists? If so, there are some kinds of those lights that require you to keep the insulation a certain distance away and I think some that don't require it. If that's an issue, just say so and maybe someone here who knows more about it will be able to explain it. On my recessed light cans, I think there is a warning label that tells how far away to keep the insulation. That was a helpful warning label, unlike the one on the string of Chinese-made Christmas lights that read: "For indoor or outdoor use only". LOL

Good luck with everything.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #10

hello gma2rjc,

Yeah I'm referring to the corners in the joist bays where the top subfloor is hammered to the joist. Along those seam there, I was planning on spraying foam on those inside edges as well as using fiber glass insulation in the joist bays.

Oh yes...go idea on that water pipe with the foam tube insulation.

think the heating duct is in good shape right now so hopefully i wont need to retape the seams.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #11

Do you mean both sides and the full length of the joists from one end of the room to the other? Hmmm...I've never heard of doing that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't, but maybe one of the guys who knows a lot about this kind of stuff will be able to tell you if it's worth doing that or not.

Or, do you mean just where the end of the joists meets the rim joist? That's what I did, and it's well worth it, but what a pain working around all the pipes up by the ceiling and near the rim joist.

I'm probably telling you something you already know, but when you're spraying that foam, wear gloves, cover your hair completely, wear old clothes and shoes, long sleeves, safety glasses etc. I was so darn careful when I was spraying that stuff around my rim joists, but I still managed to get it on both arms and in my hair .