Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulation question

looking for some advice on garage insulation. My home is a 15 yr "cookie cutter" type home so the materials used in the home are just avg or below. My master bedroom sits directly above my 2 car garage so the room gets very cold in the winter. I just removed the ceiling and reinsulated it with an r-30 and insulated the duct work with the foil/bubble wrap type. The existing insulation was an r-19 which I guess wasnt bad, but not enough for my situation. I also ran a tee off a feed so I could send some heat into the garage via a register in the ceiling and a return about 1 ft off the floor at the opposite end of the garage. I am also in the middle of searching for two new garage doors with an r-10 value. The walls are insulated with an r-13, do you think that is enough ? Would doubling up on studs so more insulation could be installed be worth it ? Should I just go with the new doors and make sure they are sealed well ? I have already added an r-30 to my attic on top of the r-19 and have noticed quite a difference. Thanks for your time on this subject, steele.

steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

insulation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele
. I just removed the ceiling and reinsulated it with an r-30 and insulated the duct work with the foil/bubble wrap type. The existing insulation was an r-19 which I guess wasnt bad, but not enough for my situation.
I just removed the ceiling and reinsulated it with an r-30.

Did you remove the ceiling in the master bedroom or the ceiling in the garage?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #3

insulation question

I removed the ceiling in the garage and installed r-30 and added an r-30 to the attic above the bedroom.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

insulation question

Are you trying to improve the heat in the garage or the heat in the master bedroom? or both?

Does the furnace heat the rest of the house properly?

What state do you live in? (I need to know what r value the house would need)

What is the output BTU rating on the furnace?

Do you have one thermostat or is this a multi zone unit?

Is there a return duct in the master bedroom?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #5

insulation question

I am trying to keep the bedroom warm and thought bleeding some heat into the garage may take the chill off. I have found garage doors with an r-10 that Im going to buy. The furnace does heat the rest of the house properly (single zone). I live in NJ. The output rating (2nd stage) is 100,000. The therm sits downstairs. There is no return in the bedroom, thats why we usually keep our door cracked open. Thanks for the reply.