Insulation In An Interior Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation in an interior wall

Hi, I am finishing a bonus room (turning attic space into a home theater) and am considering what to do with the existing insulation. The unfinished space is next to an existing bedroom. The between the bedroom and the home theater to be is currently insulated with R-15 batts. I Know it doesn't do much but I am considering leaving the batts in to help with sound dampening.

Two questions I could use your advice on:

1) Is this going to do anything to help with sound dampening or am I just wasting time by not ripping the existing stuff out entirely?

2) The insulation is kraft faced R-15. If I decide to leave it in the wall (which will be between two heated spaces) do I need to pull out the insulation, rip off the paper facing and then stuff it back in?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Avramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Insulation in an interior wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avramel View Post
Hi, I am finishing a bonus room (turning attic space into a home theater) and am considering what to do with the existing insulation. The unfinished space is next to an existing bedroom. The between the bedroom and the home theater to be is currently insulated with R-15 batts. I Know it doesn't do much but I am considering leaving the batts in to help with sound dampening.

Two questions I could use your advice on:

1) Is this going to do anything to help with sound dampening or am I just wasting time by not ripping the existing stuff out entirely?

2) The insulation is kraft faced R-15. If I decide to leave it in the wall (which will be between two heated spaces) do I need to pull out the insulation, rip off the paper facing and then stuff it back in?

Thanks!
No! The vapor barrier is only important if there's a temperature differential between area's!
If you want to cut down on noise transmission, consider framing up a 2nd wall, with the studs off-set from the existing wall. And insulate this wall also!
I did this with my house to isolate a b/r from the bathroom and it was a good improvement!

Advertisement

Last edited by Wildie; 03-10-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Afterthought!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote