Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

Share |

Insulation Idea

Hi all,

Spray foam is quite expensive so I had an idea to first put in 4" blue board (R-20) and spraying an inch or 2 of foam over the blueboard to make it stretch a little further. This might cut my insulation cost in half. Any ideas or potential problems with this idea?

Thanks,
Dan

buildingahomeCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #2

Insulation Idea

I don't think it'll give you the same results as a full stud cavity of icynene would. Spend the money now, you won't regret it.

Another thought...I saw a product on a jobsite that is a 1" foam board with foil facing that gives INCREDIBLY HIGH r-values. www.p2000insulation.com. Neat stuff but it does cost several times more than blue/pink foam board.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #3

Insulation Idea

www.p2000insulation.com Seems like a voodoo product to me. A scam wrapped in aluminum foil. My idea was to use cheaper r-5 per inch EPS to fill in some of the space and then use foam to seal it all in. I'm still mulling it over... I don't know of any research done to validate my idea.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #4

Insulation Idea

Just an afterthought. If radiant foil was effective, why not just get a few boxes of HD reynold's wrap and staple it on your walls, ceilings? A few bucks per house.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #5

Insulation Idea

Sorry for making the suggestion.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #6

Insulation Idea

My 1948 house had gyp rock plaster lath panels (16"X48") installed to support the plaster. These panels have foil on the reverse side.
When I bought the house, it had no wall insulation, so I had cellulose insulation blown in.
I am more than pleased, as to how effective this combination has been. The foil reflects the radiant heat back into the house and the cellulose, the ambient heat.
I would suggest that if a vapor barrier could be impregnated with a reflective material, and used with standard fibre glass insulation, the results could be quite satisfying!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Insulation Idea

The house I am currently living in was built in 1986 by the previous owner. I bought it in 1990. The exterior of the house was sheathed with insulation material which appears to be compacted fiberglass, is 1 1/4" thick, and has a thick aluminum foil outer skin. As far as insulation, it must be good, this house does well in both winter and summer as far as the electric bill for HVAC. BUT- there is one drawback, cell phones do not work very good in this house at all, which I don't mind. We've had company over, someone tried to use their cell phone and I've had to tell them they have to go outside to use it as it will not work inside. I've done test's in which I use mine, or someone else's cell phone, make the call outside, then go inside and the reception will drop off. I tell people the actual home builder worked for the CIA and didn't want the Russians listening in on his phone calls, so that is why he used this insulation. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #8

Insulation Idea

I have a similar problem, only to do with using wi-fi from my computer router.
It works well for me in the house, but it would be nice if my daughter, who lives across the street, could receive the signal, but its blocked by the wall foil!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #9

Insulation Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I have a similar problem, only to do with using wi-fi from my computer router.
It works well for me in the house, but it would be nice if my daughter, who lives across the street, could receive the signal, but its blocked by the wall foil!
If you moved your wireless router to a window facing your daughter, I think it would work. Might look funny from the outside though.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #10

Insulation Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildingahomeCO View Post
If you moved your wireless router to a window facing your daughter, I think it would work. Might look funny from the outside though.
I would have to run in some CAT 5 wire to do this and then incurr the wrath of my wife, as the front window is in the living room.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #11

Insulation Idea

Hopefully this will make sense.

Before drywall is put up on a wall, would it help at all if a strip of sill gasket foam was stapled to the room-side of the studs. Would it prevent bridging, where cold air transfers from the exterior wall of a home, through the 2x6" studs, through the drywall and into the room?

So you would have the sill gasket sandwiched between the drywall and the 2x6" studs. Would the foam gasket help to keep the cold from traveling from the stud to the drywall?

KC - I was reading and wondering about that P2000 insulation last winter. It looks pretty impressive. Have you ever seen it in any of the homes you've inspected?

buildingahomeCO - are you going to be doing the spray foam yourself or hire a company to do it?
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #12

Insulation Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
KC - I was reading and wondering about that P2000 insulation last winter. It looks pretty impressive. Have you ever seen it in any of the homes you've inspected?
It is impressive stuff. Yes, I've seen it on a couple VERY HIGH END residential projects and the builder (who is among the most reputable I know of) absolutely swears by it.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #13

Insulation Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
buildingahomeCO - are you going to be doing the spray foam yourself or hire a company to do it?
I'm going to get some quotes from pros and compare that to something like tiger foam kits. I'm starting to frame the roof in a couple weeks so It's coming down to decision time.