Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

Insulation - Faced vs. Unfaced + Plastic Sheet

We're up to the point of insulating the kitchen walls and a 6' shed roof over the kitchen extension. The walls are 2x4, ceiling 2x6. Question is, do I use faced insulation, or do I used unfaced and then put up a sheet of plastic as the vapor barrier.

I would think unfaced would be easier (no need to attach each bat twice) plus it would provide one continuous vapor barrier, and cover even the little spots we shove insulation. But most posts/examples I see show faced insulation. Is one way "better" than the other, or just different styles?

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

Wow. 17 views and no opinions?

Either I'm off the deep end and should clearly do faced insulation (I picked faced as it's more "common") or this really is just a builders-preference and no one can make a strong argument either way.

Nothing?

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,130

I've wondered the same thing myself. I'd think unfaced and plastic would be less expensive. I watch a home improvement show on TV that originates in Canada, and that's what they always do. Maybe it's code there.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Around here, the contractors use unfaced with no vapor barrier. If you live in a very cold climate, a vapor barrier would be required. Ask your local Building Department. Read this on vapor barriers: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I am a insulation contractor and have been for 7 years, in my opinion I will never use poly on any part of my home other than a crawlspace floor. If you go into any home around here (eastern KS) that has the poly sheeting as a vapor barrier, you will see it does its job well. It stops all air movement and traps moisture in your wall = Perfect for mold growth. In my opinion this product should never have been considered for use on any sidewall.

kalem
richkar is offline   Reply With Quote