Insulation Between Wall Studs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

insulation between wall studs

what type of insulation should I put between new construction wall studs?
Also is it okay for the insaulation to be around/near the romex that is connecting the wall outlets? Thanks for the help?

Advertisement

raineydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?
2x4 or 2x6 walls or ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Insulation itself (the batting) must be cleared from direct contact with electrical or heat sources.
The paper on the insulation must be removed within several inches of any electrical or heat source because the paper is flammable. . . generally 3" of paper removed from around sockets and lighting fixtures is acceptable (not wire, though, wire itself running up the wall - or across - can be in contact with the paper because the wire is properly insulated with it's jacket. The only are to concern with is near the connection, where the wire jacket has been removed to attach the wire to your switch/plug/etc) - but for near stoves and fireplaces the entire paper must be stripped within several feet. I've found it just safer to strip the paper off the entire wall and save yourself some possible regrets.

What type of insulation you need depends on what type of house you have (brick or no brick), the thickness of your walls, and where you live because your climate/existing heat/cold barrier - which is why Scuba asked those things

Last edited by Snav; 03-29-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #4

I live in Delaware
The wall studs are 2 x 6
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #5

For 2x6 walls I use R19 paper faced
Insulation should not be in contact with cement
Paper faced insulation must be covered
No need to strip the paper facing off....it is required to be covered

Is this in a basement ...or ?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #6

This is a basement.
When you say the paper must be covered are you referring to the drywall?
Also will I loose much of the effects of the insulation to just stop the insulation at 3 inches above the outlets all the way around the basement wall?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #7

No, the paper on the insulation must be covered
Do you have concrete walls ?
If so---
Reg wood can't be in contact with cement
It would be better to put at least 1/2" rigid up against the cement walls

If you will be heating & cooling this area then you want a certain RValue Min
And you need to be sure the basement never gets water to use drywall & fiberglass insulation
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,096

"Also will I loose much of the effects of the insulation to just stop the insulation at 3 inches above the outlets all the way around the basement wall?" -------- Batt insulation goes behind and tightly around the recept. and switch boxes, not leaving a gap. Cut the batt carefully to let the Romex into the insulation: http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...99/991110.html http://oikos.com/library/insulating_...lls/index.html The boxes are rated by volume for the number of wires inside which should be sheathed at least 1/4" intact into the box, per code to reduce the heat build-up inside.. So the vapor retarder paper can abutt the boxes. You may want to research more for your basement, as Dave said: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1 The problems with concrete and batts: http://www.swinter.com/services/docu...Insulation.pdf

Be safe, Gary

Advertisement