Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

Insulation in basement floor joists and integrated garage

I have a 60 year old cape code style house. The basement is divided (half basement and half garage). It is seperated by a insulated wall. The basement is kept around 65 degrees because our laundry/ HWH/ and Furnace is there. The garage portion is kept much cooler but warm enough to prevent pipes from freezing.

None of this area is insulated. The basement walls are concrete block. There is no insulation in the rim joists or between floor joists for that matter. With temps below freezing I can tell that the floor is colder above the garage than it is above the basement. I know I'm losing a lot of heat and I need to do something. I know the rim joists are the highest priorty. I was planning on caulking and stuffing with R-30 fiberglass insulation but I've heard from some people that maybe I should use close cell foam. The floor joists are 8" on 16" inch centers and I also planned on putting bat insulation there as well. Especially in the garage area. Things are a bit complicated due to electrical lines, plumbing, and HVAC ducts that run though and between the joists. The garage portion alone is probably only 350 ft'. I planned to put rolled faced insulation but I've also seen the fully enclosed rolled insulation and wondered if it might be better. Since it will be necessary to make numerous cuts to account for electrical and plumbing lines I'm thinking the faced paper might be more appropriate.

I don't believe the energy savings would be recouped by installing the joist insulation but will it help keep the floors above the garage warmer?

What should I do?
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #2

Spray foam would sure be more efficient and more effective than batts of insulation, especially around all the plumbing and electrical lines. You can get DIY foam from TigerFoam and probably some other manufacturers, or pay to have it done.

Batt insulation certainly isn't ineffective though. If you use fiberglass batts just remember that you don't benefit from cramming insulation into the spaces. It must retain its loft to be effective.

One thing to remember with faced insulation: The paper face cannot be left exposed to the inside of the residence. It must be covered by an ignition barrier such as drywall or plywood. Foam insulation products differ, but most require ignition barriers as well.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite
Spray foam would sure be more efficient and more effective than batts of insulation, especially around all the plumbing and electrical lines. You can get DIY foam from TigerFoam and probably some other manufacturers, or pay to have it done.

Batt insulation certainly isn't ineffective though. If you use fiberglass batts just remember that you don't benefit from cramming insulation into the spaces. It must retain its loft to be effective.

One thing to remember with faced insulation: The paper face cannot be left exposed to the inside of the residence. It must be covered by an ignition barrier such as drywall or plywood. Foam insulation products differ, but most require ignition barriers as well.
Wow. Was not aware the faced insulation needs to be covered. Seems like I've seen faced insulation in garage ceiling quite often around here
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Seems like I've seen faced insulation in garage ceiling quite often around here
Ayuh,... That's just other peoples unfinished projects, don'tcha know,.....

I agree, sealin' up, 'n insulatin' the garage ceiling will make the floors above warmer...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote