Insulation Around Electricity - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulation around electricity

I have an opportunity to insulate the ceiling above my home office without tearing out or poking holes in the perfectly good ceiling, because we are residing the house and there is one sheathing board that when popped off allows access to all the rows of empty space between the rafters.

So, I thought I would rent a unit from Home Depot and use blown-in cellulose.
However, i don't know what happens when you blow this stuff in and around light fixtures, of which there are several in this ceiling.

Is there a fire potential or other problem with blowing this stuff into bays that have electrical fixtures?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Johnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Good question.

There can be problems, depending on the light fixtures. I assume we're talking about can lights here. You need to determine what kind of cans they are. Remove the bulb and the trim kit from one of them (from living area side) and look for a sticker inside it. You're looking for "IC" stamped on that sticker. If they're IC rated cans, you can pile insulation around them. If they're not, it would be best to be safe and give them at least a few inches of clearance from the insulation, because they need to breathe.

If you're just talking about the electrical boxes to which light fixtures are mounted, there's no problem with putting insulation around them.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, KC.
I will check for the sticker.
So, if it says IC on the sticker, blown in should be ok, even if it goes all in and around the electrical unit?
Johnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Insulation can be blown in contact with the attic-exposed parts of an IC rated can light.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote