Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

Insulation around chimney

May I put insulation around a chimney that runs from the furnace in the basement out through my attic? I just want to put it at the opening in the floor boards right around the chimney in the attic, so the walls where it runs through shouldn't be so cold.

cfeuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

Insulation around chimney

That depends on the temp of the pipe. Check to see what your effluent gas temp is, then check w/ the pipe manufacturer/local supplier for what temp the pipe will be (assuming double wall pipe). Mineral wool may be what to use; it takes a fairly high temp and is used in your type of situation.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
cfeuer (02-08-2011)