Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Insulation

I'm putting in new faced insulation. How close should I put the new insulation to the soffit?

MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

Insulation

Assuming you are doing an attic, your batts should extend fully to lay over the top plate of the wall but serve no benefit inside the actual soffit. Your soffit should be allowed to vent upward through the attic. You may require a liner on the underside of the roof between every other or 3rd rafter and above the insulation to provide proper flow of air upward and out the roof top vents.
go to buildingscience.com for info

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Insulation

Or to put it simply... do not block the top edge of the roof between the rafters and do not insulate past the wall top plate.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #4

Insulation

I'm just shy of the wall top plate and the insulation touches the roof. It's expanded completely put it does touch.

Do I need to back it off a little?

How far should the insulation be from the roof to allow proper ventilation?

Would it be better to leave it where it is and install some baffles????
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Insulation

If by baffles you mean the foam strips that are designed to be placed against the roof sheathing between the joists to allow air flow above the insulation, then yes, slide these into place and your fine.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #6

Insulation

Shy of the top plate will give you cold corners at the ceiling, depending
on your location you could develop frost, etc
Lap the top plate & use the baffles for best results. Worst case I have heard of HI R value rigid foam as a block below the baffles...on a sharp pitched roof
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #7

Insulation

MikeyP,

I put a lot of thought (and took a lot of advice here) into blocking off my soffit (but still allowing for air movement of course) because of the fact that I have a raised hip roof. I think this ended up being a great solution for me. I bought a bundle of those foam boards (Z fold I think they call it?), cut them down to 24" pcs, took a razor and made 'wings' to staple to the 2x4, then ran a torch across at a pre-measured distance and put a fold in it, then installed. Now that the drywall is up, I will go back in and fill with blown in insulation.

I dig it

Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote