Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Insulation for 2X10 basement ceiling.

What is the max R value I can put in my 2X10 basement ceiling joists. I live in Nebraska. Also... how do you insulate around the Hvac lines... Just stuff it in?? Also the soffit in the center of my house seems real Busy...... trunk lines for hvac... water lines... power lines.... etc. do you insulate in this area????

luweee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Theres more then one way.

You dont want to "stuff it in", normally you try and keep the "fluff" of the insulation as is, and not compress it.
Im sure if you search online you will see the dimensions of the different R values.

I just picked up some for the walls (2x6) and found both R19 and R21, never paid mind to other thicknesses, but i think R27 is about 9".

For the pipes you want to cut the insulation so it fits around them, kind of carving out the middle of the insulation.

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #3

You might consider running a heat run or two into the basement instead of keeping it cold. I did that a couple years ago and it really helps with the cold floor. The water heater doesn't work as hard either.

Insulating the basement from the warm upstairs just ups the chances of frozen pipes.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #4

I put in 6 HVAC ductings to supply heat to the basement and 1 Return and I have a vented door for a Return also.... I did this all as per an HVAC estimate... when I had a pro come out and price it.

Is this what you were talking about when you said heat run? or something else?

How bout the soffit?

Thanks
both of you!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #5

I'm a big believer in Roxul insulation also! Did my whole attached garage with it, because of it fire rating! Insulating the basement ceiling is unusual, unless its to reduce noise from upstairs! Just exactly, what is your reason?
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #6

If you are heating your basement there is no need to insulate the ceiling unless you have radiant heat in the ceiling.

Do insulate the exterior walls - especially the rim joist area and any above grade wall areas.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luweee View Post
I put in 6 HVAC ductings to supply heat to the basement and 1 Return and I have a vented door for a Return also.... I did this all as per an HVAC estimate... when I had a pro come out and price it.

Is this what you were talking about when you said heat run? or something else?
Yes, that's what I meant. As Jogr said, if you're heating that basement then there's absolutely no good logic in insulating the floor/ceiling.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
What can I find here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
If you are heating your basement there is no need to insulate the ceiling unless you have radiant heat in the ceiling.

Do insulate the exterior walls - especially the rim joist area and any above grade wall areas.
I second this comment. Been doing a lot of research on the subject myself and trying to determine what approach best suites me and for the right cost. Some suggestions would be to use rigid foam 2" (R10) adhered or fastened to the walls. There are some panel systems out there too but they're a little too pricey for me.

Best of luck.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #9

I'm insulating my ceiling because of noise. Thought any litte bit will help.