Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
pjm

Share |

Insulation

I need to insulate my kitchen and need to make sure I follow the code. I will be doing two exterior walls and the ceiling. I need to know how much space I need around outlets, switches, and high hat lights. Also do I have it inspected before I put up the vapor barrier or after? I'm guessing before. Just looking for some info before I start so I don't end up having to do it twice if I screw it up. I'm in northern NJ.

Thanks.
pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #2

Insulation

Most inspectors will want to do the "rough-in" inspection before you insulate or hang vapor barrier. That way they can see the framing, wiring, plumbing, etc.

Some inspectors do insulation inspections, some don't. Only your jurisdiction can tell you what they want for sure. Give them a call and ask. If I'm called to do a rough-in inspection and the house is insulated of a vapor barrier is up, it is coming down in most cases.

Clearance to can lights depends on the can light. If you're using type IC cans, they can touch the insulation. Most other can lights require some clearance to insulation and combusibles. The light's installation requirements are typically available online on the manufacturer's website.

No space is requried around switch and receptacle boxes. No insulation inside the box of course.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
pjm

Insulation

Do you think I could insulate where there's no plumbing to be inspected? For example I already had my rough electric inspection, also had a plumbing inspection for the gas line and vent pipe (which failed and had to be moved) the vent has been moved, but do you think I should wait until he approves it. I can do half the room easily without covering the vent pipe. I wouldn't put up a vapor barrier until just before sheet rock anyway, but I will be stapling the insulation in. He's coming on Tuesday to check it, but i'd hate to waste the weekend you know?

I guess maybe i'll wait. Thanks for the info on the outlet's that's what I was thinking and I will check on the high hats for how far away the insulation needs to be.
pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #4

Insulation

I'd say no, don't insulate. The inspector will likely be looking in all your stud spaces for firestopping wherever pipes or wires go through the top or bottom plates. Firestopping is also required at vertical to horizontal transitions in the framing (studs to soffits, etc).

Once again, it is a quick phonecall to have your definitive answer on whether or not you can insulate.

If your lights are ok for insulation contact, they'll have a big "IC" stamped on the label inside the can. Otherwise check your clearance requirements.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote