Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Insulating And Ventilating my new shed (Gym) Helllppppp !!!

Hi NOob here just after a little advice for my own shed,
Ok so i decided to bite the bullet and get a shed built in my back garden, its going to be 8m x 3m so quite big now i have half of it built, need to knock my old flimsy shed down and carry on with new one........Man i didnt relise how expensive this was gonna be !!! Im going to be using it as a home gym with tv computer, carpet etc !!
Now i no its gonna need insulating and ventilating to stop damp now this is a must with as i dont want to ruin my expensive electrical stuff, i no there is so many ways but there all confusing me so any help or advice would be great.
Shed is as follows
Used my flat decking as a foundation
Timber joists with 3/4 inch ply for floor
3x2 frames for the walls with 1/2 inch ply fixed to it
The front of the shed has been done in 3x2 for frames and a layer of visqiune and feather edged boards on top (more pleasing on the eye than ply
Pvc opening windows
Flat Roof 7ft at the back going to 6ft 6 at the front made from timber joists again and 3/4 inch ply
And the roof will be finished with mineral felt when the other half is done, also will have fascia boards and gutters....
Any ideas for the best way to insulate and ventilate would be great....
I will be plasterboarding the inside and plastering but what to put inbetween and where to Ventilate i really want to minimise damp.

THANKS in advance

shanew1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

What are you going to use to heat the shed ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What are you going to use to heat the shed ?

Im in two minds, either electric heaters, oil filled radiators something to that tone,
or
Im having my full back yard revamped so was considering getting radiators plumbed in before i get my new slabs down, i dont no how much of a job that would be, my boilers right next to my back door..
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Do you have a pic of the walls framing ?

In the US we frame usually studs 16" or 24" OC & then they sell insulation 16/24" wide that is then installed in the cavity
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Do you have a pic of the walls framing ?

In the US we frame usually studs 16" or 24" OC & then they sell insulation 16/24" wide that is then installed in the cavity
I will put some on for u too see tomorrow, electricians coming to move the electrics from the old shed to the new half, i will take some pictures for u
Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #6

Venting is usually done in an attic space where you have a ceiling separating it to keep the heat in. Otherwise your heat will sail out the roof. Venting helps prevent the roof from overheating and helps to dry out the attic. In unheated sheds venting without an attic is fine as you are trying to keep the temperature inside equal to that outside otherwise it gets very hot in the summer.

You also need to be concerned about vapour in your insulation as that will lead to rot. Seeing as you're effectively building a house-like structure (heated living space) I would treat it as such. You will need a vapour barrier between the insulation and your living space (under drywall, or whatever you plan to finish walls with), and insulation above your ceiling (no insulation in the roof as the "attic" should be cold) vapour barrier below that too. Polyethelene sheet sold in big box stores will do fine. Vents can then be put in the roof.

As for vapour in the walls, this is handled by leaving a small gap between the insulation and the outside wall where air can flow and reach the attic. You can use fibreglass insulation between the 2x3's provided you have dealt with keeping moisture out properly. Especially with your foundation, you will have warm moist air in the living area (even your own breath contributes to this) that you don't want condensing on the outside wall and soaking the fibreglass (leading to rot).

Hope this helps

hacksepe is offline   Reply With Quote