Insulating Unfinshed Basement Ceiling For Sound - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Insulating unfinshed basement ceiling for sound

My laundry room is in an unfinished area in my basement. A lot of the sounds from the laundry room (washer/dryer noises, people talking) can be heard in my kitchen that is right about the basement laundry room.

If I add some insulation in between the ceiling joists, I would assume that would help deaden the sound. Since I am not going to finish the laundry room, the insulation I put between the ceiling joists will obviously be exposed.

Is it mandatory that the insulation be covered? If not, would install the insulation paper side up or down?

Advertisement

daveyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I can't answer your question about covering the insulation, but I can tell you that you don't need, in fact you don't want, paper on the insulation you are installing.

Advertisement

Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garasaki View Post
I can't answer your question about covering the insulation, but I can tell you that you don't need, in fact you don't want, paper on the insulation you are installing.
So, I should go with unfaced insulation in the ceiling?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #4

anyone?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Faced or unfaced, I would think you'd want to cover the insulation to keep the fibers from "raining down" every time someone walks around upstairs........
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,360

My nephew bought some sound-proofing insulation at Lowe's so his wife doesn't have to hear him playing drums downstairs. I believe he said he had to special-order it.

Here is a website that has some info about soundproofing:

http://www.soundproofing101.com/
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #7

What about putting the insulation between the rafters paper side down to limit the fiberglass from "falling" This is going to be in an unfinished, un heated laundry room in the basement
Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Drywall contractor

That would certainly help to some degree. Some sort of ceiling would be best, even if you have to just piece it in around pipes or whatever may be in the way....
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #9

I have insulation with the paper side up held by metal strips you can buy for holding insulation. I went further and added a layer of sheet used to seal insulation as i have my office and did not want fiberglass falling down over time with walking on hardwood floors.

It is not 100% sound proof but except of loud noise i do not hear much.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Fiberglass insulation is not a particularly good sound proofer. There are sound dampening insulation batts available that will do a better job. If you must use fiberglass, then try to use unfaced. You don't need a vapor retarder and if you end up using kraft faced then at least put the paper toward the warmest side of the area you're installing it into. Keep in mind that if the space in the basement hasn't got a heat source, it will get colder with insulation stopping the radiant heat from the ceiling along with the sound.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

Even stapling up some heavy duty plastic will work as long as it's not near a heat source (exhaust vent for the furnace or such).
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Fiberglass insulation is not a particularly good sound proofer. There are sound dampening insulation batts available that will do a better job. If you must use fiberglass, then try to use unfaced. You don't need a vapor retarder and if you end up using kraft faced then at least put the paper toward the warmest side of the area you're installing it into. Keep in mind that if the space in the basement hasn't got a heat source, it will get colder with insulation stopping the radiant heat from the ceiling along with the sound.
The room is a laundry room and has the furnace in it. I'm not worried about keeping it warm and I have finished other parts of the basement and they are heated.

I am just looking for some noise control to keep the washer/dryer/furnace noises from travelling upstairs.

I did notice when I put insulation between the ceiling joists in the part of the basement (before I put drywall up) that I did finish, it really deadened the sound.

The laundry room is right below my kitchen so there will be a lot of foot traffic from above. I was thinking about putting kraft faced insulation with the paper side facing down and using the metal insulation supports to hold it up. The laundry room is only used once or twice a week
Old 01-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Drywall contractor

Yes it will help deaden the sound. And again, I'd put something up to further insure your clean clothes don't get "insulated". I'm guessing you've got pipes coming through the floor/ceiling is why you don't want to hang drywall?? Just piece it in as best you can and "rough" tape it to seal it. Or as I suggested before, staple up some heavy plastic. Just keep that away from heat sources (exhaust vents). You could even use some rigid foam, way lighter than drywall and will help with sound.........
Old 01-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #14

Another question...

I am going to build a bedroom in my basement. It will be heated. My plan was to adhear 1" foam insulation to the block foundation then frame the walls.

In addition to putting the foam insulation on the block walls, should I put R19 pink insulation in the framed out walls? If so, should it be faced or unfaced? Or is that too much insulation (foam and fiberglass) and could cause problems?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

You may find this web page of interest! http://www.roxul.com/sw47802.asp I used this in my garage that has a 1/12 pitch roof with 2X8 rafters! I cut lengths of #10 iron wire, 14 3/4" in length and used these wire lengths, pressed up between the joists to prevent the bats from working their way down!

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote