Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating Uneven Basement Wall Help (with pics)

No. Not just another "How do I not use the search function and ask the same question" question. I've searched. And understand the basics.

Background to follow, but to jump to it: How can I get a solid, moisture friendly seal across and around a very uneven wall. Then build a framed in wall system either right on or adjacent to it, keeping me warm/cool and saving money?

The Story and Plan
I am going to finish out my basement into a music studio, mancave, and danceclub...if my wife approves a pole. Since the ceiling is inadequate for legal living space and I have no means of egress, it will not be a legal 'living space'. I'm not going to duck on safety related codes, but I do have some good wiggle room.

Step one, among many, is to keep some heat down here.

Quick stats:
Built 1940. We bought it 2yrs ago. NE OHIO. HOT Summer, FREEZIN Winter.
Cinder block basement course.
Full basement dig out and repour 5 yrs ago.
27'w x 40'd feet.
Height from floor to sill is 80.5" on average.
9.5" joists to upstairs subfloor.
Exterior grade is 52" up from basement floor.
Home exterior completely dug up and waterproofed 7-10 yrs ago.
Still some drainage issues, as you'll see.
Generally no water issues, but FRONT WALL is suspect. Some spots and a bad corner due to crap drainage. Will address in spring.
No insulation on exterior (even though they had it dug up).
No insulation on interior. Glass Block x5 windows. Right at grade.

The front wall (in pics) is VERY out of plumb. Minimal bowing, but old movement has taken its toll. This will be the front wall of the studio. Rather, I will build a stud wall to fit the studio design.

The studio will be framed in on its own, and I was going to just leave some space for the walls to breath - no airtight seal. But it is so damn cold this winter I can just see money flying out the walls here. No matter WHAT I do with studio space/mancave design I need the walls buttoned up. (The design will have moveable walls to allow access to things like the water main, electric, and my stash of ammo...

Here is a shot that shows the wall with some height reference, as well as a tweaked version where you can see the Drylock pulled away due to new? old? dampness or ?bad seal. (have a test spot on there now under plastic and no moisture x24 hrs)

So. My only idea was to build some kind of "custom" panel of XPS 1.5" with a built up edge all around. Maybe with some reinforcing strips or spots as needed. Several, actually. Then attach at the sill plate area, which is relatively smooth, and extend it down to near the floor. Allow for an inch or two of room b/c I've seen some light discoloration off the wall/footer intersection. Let it breath.
Then just build as close to or right u to it as I can with the framed in system.

Would also like to go along all th other walls, which does seem more straight forward, but then wonder if I get into the issue of exposed XPS. I dont' watn to seal in the whole place. (its not legal living space anyway....). But again, this is driven by my desire to insulate a wasteful basement.

THANK YOU.

(sorry if long - I'm on some heavy cold meds)

jefferyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

why not frame your wall and get a spray in foam? frame the wall even with the most inward projecting point?

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
"You can do anything"-Mom

X2 for spray foam. You'll have a tough time with XPS.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

So the question that pops into my head is, of course, cost. I can find that elsewhere, I 'm sure.

recommend a DIY spray? Contract it out?
I have to do the whole basement Sill/Rim, so spraying it may be the only solid answer here. Just knock it all out at one time. Was going to use xps cut into 9.5x14" blocks x 56, but if I can just spray it and be done, then excellent.

My other issue (than $ being out of budget) is adhesion.
Do I have to knock all the Drylok off that is pulled away in places? I have seen ZERO change in two years, now that I've been able to look back at old photos. So I don't see chronic/current issue.

If DIY, recommended brand around here (yes, I'll use the search box too).

Thanks.
J
jefferyscott is offline   Reply With Quote