DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Insulating split level home crawl space.

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  IREnergy 
#1 ·
I plan on finishing off the cooler room that was partially done by the original owner. House was built in 1975, no idea when reno was done.

its a split level home. the crawl space/ cooler room is directly below the front entrance landing.

As the pics show, there is bat insulation put in place on the walls, but not covered up. I plan on attaching vapor barrier and salvaged panelling to finish it off.

The concrete foundation part of the wall was left exposed, which to me makes sense. considering you want to keep the place cool.

My question, the "roof" of the crawl space. does that need insulation? We never noticed any coldness when we walk across the top of the carpeted landing.

2nd question. Should I put vapor barrier across the ceiling joists? Don't know if this is a good idea or not. Would it help or would it trap moisture causing rot over time? The previous owner bought it in 1996, and it has been like that for at least 11 years plus through summers/ winters.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.