Insulating Sloped Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulating sloped roof

Hi everyone. I have a new construction with two sloping roofs (6/1) that are built with 24" high trusses spaced every 24" that sit on top of some large beams that go diagonally up the walls. I have 24" of insulating space, live in Canada. I was going to run stripping over the sheathing so that I would have a cold roof (metal roofing) and then insulate the entire roof area with cellulose insulation in an closed system...no venting. The only venting is to provide air movement between the metal roofing and the sheathing. I do not have recessed lights in this ceiling either. Is that the best way? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Advertisement

jr67z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

insulating sloped roof

I would worry about condensation on the bottom of the roof deck. I would think you would need deliberate channels below the metal roof to prevent it. Scrupulous air sealing of the attic would help.

Advertisement

PerpetuallyRepairing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

insulating sloped roof

I never thought about the condensation from the underside of the metal roof, but you are right there would be a lot of it. Would the tar paper that is taped at all the seams be enough along with taped sheathing?
thanks for the reply.
jr67z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

insulating sloped roof

Post this in the roofing section...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote