Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating a slanted wall

I reside in Upstate NY in a 1980s center hall colonial with slanted walls on on the 2nd floor. I am having some ventilation problems because the slanted walls are stuffed with insulation and are covering the soffit vents. I am able to remove the insulation with a rake and powerful shop vac from the attic. The slanted ceiling are about 4 ft in length so it is difficult removing the insulation for ventilation. I had to extend the rake and used additional hose extensions to get the shop vac and rake to reach the soffit from in the attic. Now that the area is clear I need to replace the insulation but because of the length it is impossible to insulate properly. A contractor wants to rip down the ceiling and slanted wall to correct the problem by replacing the foam roofing baffles and insulate properly and re-sheetrock. The roof is 10 years old and in good shape so I do not want to rip off the roof either. I know going from the inside is the proper way to do it but by doing so we are talking about 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Our house will be in shambles as all the furniture has to be moved. The rafters are 2x6 and if their is a way for me to insulate from in the attic it would probably save my marriage and the sanity for everyone else in the house if I can avoid disputing them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by alnkimmiller; 03-29-2009 at 08:27 PM.
alnkimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #2

You definitely need ventilation up along the underside of the roof sheathing, which is what the baffles do. But it can be difficult or impossible to get fiberglass insulation to go where you want it. I assume there are currently no baffles installed???? If not, the baffles could be set in place and held up while you poured mineral wool of similar down the rafte bay. That fill the cavity better and hold the baffles in place. Worth a try before you tear out drywall.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
the Musigician

perhaps you could use scotch tape and tape the batt to the baffles? then you could slide them down from the attic, and the tape will let go soon and the batt should fluff up. but maybe not.

just a thought.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #4

hi can you tell me what ventilation problems you were having in some detail
fitzsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

to increase your ventilation before removing your insulation you could have slid 2 inch pvc pipe down into soffit from attic to ventilate your main attic,after pipe is in place blow the insulation free of pipe. theres always a better way
fitzsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #6

Cellulose insulation can be blown in after the pvc pipe is run in.
R value of cellulose is better than fibre glass!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #7

Once the pipe is in place, what will stop the cellulose insulation from blowing past the pipes into the soffit? Unless you aren't suggesting the OP use the 2" pipe since the batt insulation is already gone.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #8

It just doesn't seem right to be ventilating walls, (even slanted walls) in order to ventilate the attic. Those walls will always be cold and a huge source of heat loss. Can't you ventilate the attic some other way and fill the walls with insulation?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #9

Just to make sure we are all on the same page! I'm thinking that the OP lives in a house with a 'Gambrell' roof! [barn style]
As far as I know the walls/side roof are always insulated! They are by the most part walls and walls do no require ventilation.
I would suggest that mushroom style vents would be installed as low as possible on the upper roof, allowing circulation to flow up to a ridge vent!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote