Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating a Perfectly Good Ceiling

Hi All,
I'm partitioning off a corner of my finished basement to build a wine cellar, but I'm not sure what to do about ceiling insulation.

The basement ceiling right now is perfect. It was done in 2003 and is a sheetrocked "knockdown" textured ceiling. When the insulated partition wall goes up, I'll need to insulate the ceiling. What do I do?

1. Tear out the sheetrocked ceiling inside the cellar, insulate between floor joists and re-sheetrock.

2. ?

Is #1 my only choice?? I think it is especially because I'd like a nice, normal ceiling and not just pink foam glued up there.

Thanks!
Creekbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Why not

you could FURRDOWN the ceiling. This would eliminate demolition and mess, but not minimize construction work.

Or maybe the ceiling is already adequately insulated? Just a thought
noahweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #3

Go for #1; you won't "know" until you do.

And who likes not knowing?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote