Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Insulating a mobile home.

I picked up a free mobile home live in while building a real house.

I was planning to insulate the floor by mounding up dirt underneith it were skirting woulld normally go. Normally, I know this would lead to moisture an rot problems, but the dirt here is a very stoney course sand. The site is in fact a Gravel "pit" that hasn't been repaired. Any body see any other problems besides access?

I was also thinking of reviving the 70s by carpetting the walls. Is this worth doing?

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
I picked up a free mobile home live in while building a real house.

I was planning to insulate the floor by mounding up dirt underneith it were skirting woulld normally go. Normally, I know this would lead to moisture an rot problems, but the dirt here is a very stoney course sand. The site is in fact a Gravel "pit" that hasn't been repaired. Any body see any other problems besides access?

I was also thinking of reviving the 70s by carpetting the walls. Is this worth doing?
The R value of dirt is close to zero! It would be better to use 3" expanded foam sheets. They could be held in place using wood stakes!
When you are finished building your house, you can reuse the foam in your house!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Or you could do as I've seen mobile home's done while I was visiting family in the Fairbanks, AK area. They spray foam on the outside of the homes, then cut out for the windows and doors. Yep, the brownish looking foam when it dries, probably a foot deep. I've seen "dry cabins" done this way also. Whatever it takes, HUH? David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Or you could do as I've seen mobile home's done while I was visiting family in the Fairbanks, AK area. They spray foam on the outside of the homes, then cut out for the windows and doors. Yep, the brownish looking foam when it dries, probably a foot deep. I've seen "dry cabins" done this way also. Whatever it takes, HUH? David
I was under the impression that it wasn't UV stable.

besides, sounds too pricy, Id rather burn a few extra cords than put too much coin in a place that we (hopefully) wont be in in 3-5 years
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote