Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Insulating knee wall and attic

The upstairs in my house is extremely hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I cut a hole in the wall and discovered the insulation at the top of the knee wall has fallen somewhat and is blocking the air flow from the soffit to the ridge vent. Up on the attic the insulation was pushed over the top of the wall and had it blocked there two. The floor joist has two layers of r13 insulation just long enough to go from the top plate of the downstairs wall to the start of the knee wall (2ft). The knee wall has a single layer of r13 insulation with the paper against the drywall. Nothing is caulked or sealed anywhere. I want to insulate this correctly and also be able to use the 2ft of space for storage. The wall is 36ft long and 8 ft high. The wall is inset two feet so its straight and left a 6 inch gap at the to between the roof and wall

The attic measures 24x36 has two layers of r13 insulation. I want to properly insulate this as will and use it for storage.

Don't have any pics of the attic and wall but the outside of the house can be seen at Repairing exterior wall

kujo is offline   Reply With Quote