Insulating Garage Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Insulating Garage Ceiling

I am hoping to insulate my garage, but believe I have a strange ceiling setup. The garage is about 20x21, and only has four 2x6 rafters (correct word I believe) running across it, with braces to the roof. These 2x6 boards are approximately 48 inches apart. I have attached pictures, and hopefully they get the idea across. Is it possible to insulate with this setup?

On a side note, we just bought this house and the garage sits directly on a slab. Water has a way of running under the bottom board that sits on the concrete. The studs a few inches up the wall have turned a bit whiter than the rest of the stud. Is this a problem? The last picture I attached is a picture of this.

Thanks for any advice!!
Attached Thumbnails
Insulating Garage Ceiling-2009-12-15-14.12.49.jpg   Insulating Garage Ceiling-2009-12-15-14.13.29.jpg   Insulating Garage Ceiling-2009-12-15-14.14.36.jpg  

Advertisement

leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

why insulate? are you planning on heating it?
and yes, the white is a problem..... the wood is rotting and you need to address the water coming inside, from the outside.

DM

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #3

Yes, I would like to heat the garage. I have always wanted to have a heated garage, and with the recent stretch of below zero nights I am motivated to get this project started.

Any advice on how or if I can insulate with this type of ceiling structure?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Sure you can. Run stringers every 2 ft on center between the rafters you have and build the ceiling. Then add you insulation and poly.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #5

Where are you located ?
Why is water running into the garage ?
Ground should slope away from the garage or drainage should direct water away
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #6

I am located in SW Minnesota. I need to figure out the water, and am guessing it is a problem with ground slope. New to home and garage, so need to figure that out.

As for the stringers between the rafters: I was concerned that because of the large gap (48") between rafters, there might not be enough strengh or support to build a ceiling. You don't see that as an issue?

Is this type of rafter configuration normal in a garage? It just seems like there should be more there structurally.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,052

With difficulty. You already notched the 2x6 rafter tie for the opener track, is that a low-clearance door track? A 2x10 at 12"o.c. will span 22'11" to carry a 10# LL. (no storage). 16"o.c. span 19'10" 24"o.c. span 16'3" I'd put more than 3 nails on each side of the added 2x4 because when you notched the strength went down to a 2x4 as the bottom tension material is not replaced. We have an engineer on here, maybe he will chime in and tell "how to" with plywood gussets or ? As you can't lower the ceiling any more... The vertical height over the outside plates at the rafter heel needs to be 1/2 the ceiling joist thickness of material left:
Page #33, Fig. 6: http://books.google.com/books?id=iwS...joists&f=false
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would create a ceiling on the rafters with plywood or drywall and then insulate above that, keeping the attic space cold. But to be safe, I would beef up those existing rafters by sistering them with 2x6s, brace them perpendicularly to the run of the rafters, then put up 4 or 6 mil poly vapour barrier, sealed with tape and foam, then the drywall or plywood, and either blow in insulation or put in fibreglass batts as I go along.

I'd make sure there was enough ventilation in the attic too. You have to consider the extra weight of the drywall plus the weight of ice+snow - but have all that double-checked by an inspector. There may be code violations, if they have such codes in your area.

This may not be a violation, but putting studs directly onto concrete isn't good; that's water being sucked up the stud by capilliary action in the last photo. Not a major problem right now - but that detail should have been looked into.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You get a foam insulation company to spray it as is.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I gotta say that since this is a garage and not a full time living space and that most times you'll not be heating it up to normal household comfort levels, this is what I would consider. Add suspended ceiling gid between the bays with a fairly stiff tile. Add insulation above it to whatever level you think you need. The materials will be light weight, cheap, easy to install and accessible. If you place them between the 2x8 joists, you can adjust the height to clear the door operator track. You can add some light fixtures in the grid wherever you need them. Paint the bottom exposed edge of the joist the same color as the ceiling and it will be less noticable.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You get a foam insulation company to spray it as is.

This was my thinking. What kind of a R value can be had?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #12

Sure, spray-foam would do fine - R3-R4 to the inch I think - but fire codes say you have to cover the foam with gyproc anyway. Since foam is relatively expensive, and if you want to go that route, then reduce the sq footage required by dropping the ceiling.

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote