Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Insulating existing walls

The insulation in my 50+ year old house is lacking (lacking warmth and comfort). I'm starting to reside my house. My sheathing is 1x8 boards. My grand plan was to remove about 2 rows, skip about 2 rows, remove the next 2 and so on and so forth. I could then pull out the old insulation and install new. The issue I have, I can't pry those *@&# boards off w/ out destroying them. As, I don't want to redo the perfectly fine sheathing on my whole house, I looked into blown in insulation. The person at corning owens said I could blow new insulaiton in, from the outside if my vapor barrier was facing in towards the house. Mine is facing out (not sure why). So, I'm leaning towards doing nothing. Does anybody have any ideas that doesn't involve remove all my sheathing.

elcid99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Thread killer

Rewards Points: 10

they can blow it in the walls from inside your house too. just have to repair reasonably small holes on the drywall. If you're residing, now would be a good time to cover the outside with a few inches of xps before you put the new stuff on.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Where are you located? Vapor retarders are on the outside, if used, in cooling climates- see map; http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11810

Gary
Old 07-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might get an estimate on foam injected from the inside in addition to blown in loose insulation estimates.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

I've been offline most of the week. I ended up buying a wider, flater pry bar and had much better luck at getting to the insulation. Both sides of teh existing insulation had a covering and teh face was actually facing inside to the living space. When I saw the paper backing, through a hole in the sheathing, I thought the opposite. I started a new thread to try and determine if I'm going really making a difference w/ the insulation. How to determine existing insulation R-Value
elcid99 is offline   Reply With Quote