Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Insulating Exhisting Basement Wall

Hello,

My house is a 2 year old split level. The basement was finished as part of the agreement with the contractor. The agreement said to finish the basement with the same quality materials as the rest of the house. The stupid realtor said I didn't need to say insulate , that would be implied. Well aparently the contractor did not insulate the lower 44" of the basement wall (Pretty mad and just discovered it now that we started using that room more). The basement is poured concrete 44" up to grade and the rest is 2x6s. From what I can tell he framed the lower half out with 2x4s and put them 1/2" off the cement wall. So there is a "shelf" going around the room on 3 sides. The problem is that it is drafty in the winter time. I guess there are two options:

Closed Cell Polyurathane foam, which with 170 square feet @ 4" deep would cost me $1000. Plus even with a slow rise formula there is the risk of blowing out the drywall.

The other option is to cut a strip of drywall out (~24") midway and use 1/2" expanded polystyrene, tapes seams with Tyvex tape, and then use 3.5" R13 fiberglass to finish. Then put new drywall up, tape, mud, and paint (lots of work). Would it just be easier to take all the lower drywall out instead?

Anyone has any other suggestions?

Last edited by soasquad; 01-09-2010 at 05:04 PM.
soasquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

open cell spray foam will air seal and insulate the void and not blow out the drywall as well is fill in around wires and outlets better. And cost less. But will yield less R-Value/Inch, but you most likely we still be better off.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
open cell spray foam will air seal and insulate the void and not blow out the drywall as well is fill in around wires and outlets better. And cost less. But will yield less R-Value/Inch, but you most likely we still be better off.
Yea but an open cell foam won't serve as a good vapor retarder... right?

I live in Nebraska by the way.
soasquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Correct.. Used in rafters you do not need venting thus no cold air space to deal with. But you do need a continuous vapor barrier. (IE poly)
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote