Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulating eaves on a 'hot roof'

What is the best way to insulate unvented eaves that overhang outside and have a small opening into a 'hot roof' cathedral ceiling room?

Right now I'm leaning towards spray in foam--but worry that this may make the space too cold and may cause ice dams...help?

MutantBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What benefit do you expect by insulating the eaves?
Why aren't the eaves vented with the acompanying ridge vent?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #3

Don't have any idea why the thing wasn't vented--just bought the place. It is over 40 years old and there have been no issues with it so it appears, in this case, that no ventilation has worked ok. The roof/ceiling space is not large: 12 x 10 room with a 4 to 6 pitch?(I'm estimating based on a visual.)

By insulating the eaves: the eave space is open by a small margin into the living space: insulation will stop heat loss there, spray in would stop any possible condensation in there. BUT like I said: what about ice daming? The eave extends a good 18 inches out.

Please: I invite you to insult me if you think I'm being stupid. Please! I'm looking for info even if it may be bad or insulting: I can tell the difference in info I can use or can't use. So fire at will?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

The eaves themselves would normally NOT be insulated. This would inhibit ventilation. In a normal scenario the insulation would end at the outer wall above your top plate, thereby insulating the wall and ceiling. Insulation provides no benefit withing the overhang area. A joist liner can be used above to provide a ventilation area from a vented sofit to rooftop vent allowing hot air to escape.
Go to www.buidingscience.com
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #5

'The eaves themselves would normally NOT be insulated.'

'Normally' on a hot roof--or a cold roof?

'This would inhibit ventilation.'

There is no ventilation-never was-at all-not in this roof-none anywhere in this space (hence the hot roof.) (Didn't I say this?)