Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #1

Share |

Insulating duplex w/ flat roof

I own an old duplex house (100 years old). It is two stories, and has a shed roof and no attic.

It has a drop ceiling (the ugly rectangular ones) which covers the entire second story. There is about one foot of space from the drop ceiling to the real ceiling. The actual ceilings in the house are 9ft.

I want to insulate it. I'm trying to determine the best way to do this without tearing down both the drop ceiling and the plaster ceiling. I also do not want to spray foam directly over the plaster. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on it, or hire contractors.

I was thinking about using the thickest Fiberglass batts I can find, but I'm conserned about the health issue of it not being sealed in the ceiling. Is this a problem?

Does anyone know where I could possibly buy very thick polyurethane replacement ceiling tiles? I heard they made these.

Last edited by archangel689; 02-08-2007 at 10:44 AM.
archangel689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #2

How much area do you need to cover? Or how big is the room(s)

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
How much area do you need to cover? Or how big is the room(s)
16X32
Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Construction Guru

You can buy some standard fiberglass, unfaced insulation and lay on top of the ceiling tiles. It is done this way all the time, but don't let the insulation touch any light fixtures in the ceiling. As far as polyurethane ceiling tiles, you do want to spend some money there. You can purchase new accoustical tiles that are gypsum based if you just want to improve the appearance of them. They come in many finishes including a vinyl faced tile like acrovyn. In the old days, we used to paint them with a spray paint made for accoustical ceiling tiles to give them a fresh look.
sheeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #5

I am conserned with breathing in fiberglass particles. Can I paint the drop ceiling to seal the fiberglass in? Do I need to caulk around the tiles
Old 02-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Construction Guru

I really don't see where it will be necessary once everything is completed. The only way I could see fiberglass getting into the conditioned space is if there were a draft allowing air to carry the fibers into the space. The reality of it is that, if the fibers were dangerous, every home in America with an attic space and a pull down ladder access would have the same problem.

sheeter is offline   Reply With Quote