Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Share |
Default

Insulating double brick wall home. Via the inside.


The best way to do it if you are in Toronto is to pull the wall out and add R20 insulation. I`m an architectural technologist and if you were my client that is what I would recommend. Double masonry wall by itself is of course perfectly adequate however it comes down to your own preference.

Jeff,

I caution the spray foam now adays. There have been cases were vermiculite insulation has been found within it recently. Please be cautious about any decision you make. Batt insulation is still the more prefered choice.

ArchTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Insulating double brick wall home. Via the inside.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchTech View Post
The best way to do it if you are in Toronto is to pull the wall out and add R20 insulation. I`m an architectural technologist and if you were my client that is what I would recommend. Double masonry wall by itself is of course perfectly adequate however it comes down to your own preference.

Jeff,

I caution the spray foam now adays. There have been cases were vermiculite insulation has been found within it recently. Please be cautious about any decision you make. Batt insulation is still the more prefered choice.
What are you speaking of when you caution about spray insulation? Which spray insulation? Where was vermiculite found?
What's an architectual technologist?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 678
Default

Insulating double brick wall home. Via the inside.


If it's a cavity wall ( brick external wall/ 2-3 inch cavity/brick or block internal wall), the usual way is to drill holes in the exterior wall and inject insulation such as mineral fibres or polystyrene balls. This is quite a simple and cheap method. I wouldn't recommend ripping down a wall to put insulation in the cavity.
http://www.thinkinsulation.co.uk/cav...stallation.htm
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Insulating double brick wall home. Via the inside.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
If it's a cavity wall ( brick external wall/ 2-3 inch cavity/brick or block internal wall), the usual way is to drill holes in the exterior wall and inject insulation such as mineral fibres or polystyrene balls. This is quite a simple and cheap method. I wouldn't recommend ripping down a wall to put insulation in the cavity.
http://www.thinkinsulation.co.uk/cav...stallation.htm
Just for the record, this thread is more than a year old and the OP has probably completed his project!
The wall only had a 3/4" cavity and the R value payback for injected insulation wouldn't make it worth while!
My present home had a 3 1/2" wall cavity and I did have cellulose insulation blown in! It would be a waste of time and money to do so with a 3/4 cavity!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Insulating double brick wall home. Via the inside.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchTech View Post
The best way to do it if you are in Toronto is to pull the wall out and add R20 insulation. I`m an architectural technologist and if you were my client that is what I would recommend. Double masonry wall by itself is of course perfectly adequate however it comes down to your own preference.

Jeff,

I caution the spray foam now adays. There have been cases were vermiculite insulation has been found within it recently. Please be cautious about any decision you make. Batt insulation is still the more prefered choice.
I doubt that anybody would be happy about losing 6" of room space so as to install R20 insulation!
Usually rooms in these old houses are small to start with!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 678
Default

Insulating double brick wall home. Via the inside.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Just for the record, this thread is more than a year old and the OP has probably completed his project!
The wall only had a 3/4" cavity and the R value payback for injected insulation wouldn't make it worth while!
My present home had a 3 1/2" wall cavity and I did have cellulose insulation blown in! It would be a waste of time and money to do so with a 3/4 cavity!
I didn't notice the date as there already had been 2 replies yesterday, although it usually takes at least a year of the wife's nagging before I start a job.
I may have read it wrong but I took it that there was an air gap/cavity between the 2 wythes which was unknown in size. The type of insulation I was talking about goes into that gap. The gap needs to be at least 2 inches for a contractor to fill it.
As I understand it the 3/4 gap was between the wall and the plasterboard. I may have got this info wrong.

stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temporary wall support question discojv Building & Construction 7 01-25-2009 07:23 PM
sealing INSIDE an exterior wall penatration measure thrice Electrical 1 01-24-2009 02:12 PM
anchoring door in a brick and concrete wall agroux Carpentry 1 05-08-2008 12:28 AM
exposed brick wall Jrr1099 Carpentry 1 03-25-2008 02:45 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.