Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating a daylight basement

Greetings,

I live in the PacNW and our house has a daylight basement. The basement is framed in already and is ready for insulation. I'm not sure what the best methods are for this task. Against the concrete walls it's approx 5-6 inches deep between the studs.

Against the walls without concrete (above walls) I assume I can just use batts insulation. Correct?

What practices should I use against the concrete walls? Is it better to use polystyrene foam or batts? I assume a vapor barrier will be required is requierd? Does the vapor barrier go on the inside over the studs/insulation?

Thanks for your time.

steve31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #2

Some people put a poly moisture barrier between the studs/insulation and the concrete wall. The kraft facing on the insulation is a vapor barrier itself. It can be argued that two vapor barriers can create a dead spot in the wall between them that doesn't breathe.

I'm a fan of using foamboard against the foundation wall behind the framing, and conventionally insulating the wall cavity with kraft faced fiberglass batts (no poly vapor barrier).

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

Do you put the foam board right against the wall? How do you fasten the foam? What is the kraft face?
steve31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #4

Kraft face is like a brown paper grocery sack. It comes on batt insulation.

I wouldn't worry about "fastening" the foamboard to the wall. No point in it. Use spray foam like Great Stuff to seal gaps and such...The spray foam will also do a heck of a job securing the foamboard.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote