Insulating And Damp-proofing A Non-cavity Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating and Damp-proofing a non-cavity wall

Hi,

I'm based in the UK so apologies if it doesn't translate too well.

I'm in the process of undertaking some changes to my property. Basically I've connected the house upto the garage via an extension. The garage was L-shaped and the L is now closed off and being converted into a utility room.

The original structure of the utility room was double brick wall with no cavity.

I've had plans drawn up and submitted them to building control.... they suggest lining the existing walls with 1200mm guage visqueen dpm, 75mm styrofoam polystyrene wall insulation and then 12mm plasterboard - and skim to finish.

I'm not sure how I'd make sure all these layers would stick together?

I was wondering if there are any other options I could consider. I've heard that I could use a paint on damp proofer, And basically dab and dob the insulation and plasterboard onto the wall - perhaps using an insulated plasterboard combo.
Any opinions on this?

And I'm aware there are plasterboard, dpm, insulation board combinations? Presumably these just dab and dob straight to the wall - how do you ensure theres a seal?

One last question.... using any of these techniques how do I avoid damaging the DPM when I affix things to or send things through the wall, e.g. the outlet from the sink, washing machine or toilet and when I hand the boiler on the wall.

any help much appreciated,

Advertisement

USER132232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Why not, fix vapour barrier then just frame up the inside with 2 x 4 add insulation bat type, then drywall over the top.

Advertisement

Last edited by lxdollarsxl; 06-22-2006 at 10:26 PM.
lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Construction Estimator

Rewards Points: 75

You can use a paint on application of waterproofing. The trick is not to make holes in it once it's done. Any penetrations you make must be done prior to application. After the pipe / wires etc. are thru then caulk around them. then apply your waterproofing. The idea of framing in front of the wall would work as well. You can frame the wall - insulate it with fiberglass - apply your visqueen over the top of the framing - hang your plasterboard then hang whatever you wish over the top once your plasterboard is finished and painted. Framing over the wall gives you much more flexability in the long run as opposed to trying to work with the brick itself.
Dave
DaveH is offline   Reply With Quote