Insulating A Converted Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
pjm

Rewards Points: 75

Insulating a converted porch

Hi,

I have a house with a front room that was once a porch. It has a crawl space under it that I have access to and have put insulation in the rafters which would be below the floor of the porch. The problem is this is the coldest room in the house. Anyway I can improve the r factor? I have completely gutted the room so it now has insulation in the ceiling and walls, which it didn't and that has helped, but the floor is stone cold in the winter. It is hard wood floors and I guess adding a rug might help, but I was looking for a way to keep the floors as they look great. Do you think maybe the spray foam insulation might be any better? Also if yes any idea on the cost of something like that? Just looking for a way to improve it before the winter months.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I'm not the expert on this but I'd say adding more insulation would help. Spray foam would work too although it may take a while to find someone to crawl under there an do it. Make sure there isn't any openings for the wind to blow into. Wind will drop temp quicker than anything.

The other part of the problem might be the heat source. You don't mention this. If this porch is opened up to the rest of the home you need to get heat out to that area.

Short of that, get a nice rug.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
pjm

Well getting under there isn't a problem. It's a little tight getting in, but once you get in there's about 2 1/2 feet to crawl around in. The porch has baseboard heat just like the rest of the house and I don't think wind would be a problem, but I'll check it out. I was just thinking the spray foam might work better because it would seal it up.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

You mention you have insulation in the rafters below the floor of the porch...so you have insulation in the floor joists....how much and what type? How much / type of insulation do you have in the ceiling & walls? What are you considering having spray foamed? ...crawl space walls?

I think we need more info. Please reply.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
pjm

I believe what is in the floor joists is 9" bats of insulation. I did the walls they are the encapsulated bats. I was thinking of using the spray insulation in the floor joists after removing the old insulation. The insulation there is not in there too good it droops in some spots and I measured the space between the joists and there not all even some a bigger and some are smaller. I think this is contributing to the problem. I was just looking for the floor joists getting insulated better. I'm not going to rip out the walls again. Just wondering how much (rough estimate) it is to get the foam insulation sprayed in there? the space is 20' x 8'.

Thanks again.