Insulating A Concrete Floor>>> - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating a concrete floor>>>

Hello all..i have a one car garage that has 3 walls of cinder block and a ceiling that is concrete..above the garage is my family room and on top of the cocrete floor is padding and a rug..however it is cold...can i put rigid insulation panels on the garage ceiling to help??? if so any ideas how to attach...if not anyone have any other ideas????????

thank

mike

Advertisement

mikebmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebmore View Post
Hello all..i have a one car garage that has 3 walls of cinder block and a ceiling that is concrete..above the garage is my family room and on top of the cocrete floor is padding and a rug..however it is cold...can i put rigid insulation panels on the garage ceiling to help??? if so any ideas how to attach...if not anyone have any other ideas????????

thank

mike
Glue styrofoam panels to the concrete ceiling! Unless of course your building code requires strofoam to be covered with drywall.

In this case, you could fasten metal framing studs to the concrete, insulate between them and the place drywall over top ( or rather underneath)

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Anywhere concrete meets cold air you will have to insulate.

What you might consider is hydronic heating. Run some pex from your water heater and add a circulation pump. Then cover the pex with rigid insulation and you will want to lay down on the floor it will be so warm.