Insulating Below Rafters In 1-1/2 Story House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Insulating Below Rafters in 1-1/2 Story House

Our 1956 1-1/2 story house is in Minneapolis. The ceilings and knee walls are insulated but the side attics are outside temperature, causing the 2nd level to be cold all winter. The roof above the second level interior space is insulated with no space for ventilation between the side attics and ridge, which appears from outside to be vented. (Isn't that going to cause ice dams at the knee walls?)

There are only two roof vents on each side attic and vents along the eaves. After some reading, my plan is to install short lengths of furring strips on the underside of the rafters - spaced apart for ventilation. Then I would sheath the whole underside of the roof with pink foam boards and tape the joints.

I haven't read about that solution so I assume there is a problem with my design. Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement

jbeuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Take a look here, the discussion is of insulating above a garage, but any under-roof conditioned space with knee walls has similar considerations:

www.dom.com/about/conservation/pdf/rooms_over_garages.pdf

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Paul

Rewards Points: 10

The original method of insulating is correct; you normally keep any unused attic space cold to prevent ice dams. I was not sure from your description, but I assume that there is insulation between the floor of these side attics and the lower floor. If this is the case I would recommend you just increase the side wall insulation, just be careful that you don,t create a vapour barrier on the cold side of the wall.

Paul
www.finalsay.ca

Last edited by finalsay.ca; 09-30-2010 at 09:01 PM.
finalsay.ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic , furring strips , insulation , rafters , roof