Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

insulating basement rec room walls.

we live in wisconsin and i was wondering what is the best way to insulate,frame, and drywall for our climate.the block has already been coated with a sanded block filler and we have never really had any moisture issues.thanks

jdabroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

buildingscience.com, or ..../resources has lots of articles on this, as well as lots of discussion of it here. You may not have dampness, but I suspect you still have to deal w/ vapor. Air seal. Good luck, and read on! j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Talk to your local building inspector regarding their requires (or lack of) for vapor barrier. I've finished two basements in my homes in WI and gotten two completely different opinions from the building inspectors in different municipalities.

Location #1 was vapor barrier directly in contact with the concrete foundation wall, then build your stud wall/insulate/drywall.
Locatoin #2 was no vapor barrier at all - let the wall breathe in case of moisture infiltration.

This is one subject where you are going to get a lot of different opinions.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #4

I watched a DIY program about this tonight. They glued 3" styrofoam to the concrete and then built a standard 2X4 framed wall in front to hang the board on.
They used no vapor barrier.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn1 View Post
Location #1 was vapor barrier directly in contact with the concrete foundation wall, then build your stud wall/insulate/drywall.
This is one subject where you are going to get a lot of different opinions.
Opinions, yes. That is why I prefer to read on buildingscience.com. Any vapor barrier, on either side of the wall, if against dirt, does not make sense to me at all. If you use the exterior vb to keep outside moisture from entering through the concrete blocks, then the moisture is trapped in the concrete. Great. Mold happens. The exterior of concrete needs impeccable sealing, IMO. Keep the water in the dirt, not the house. On another thread, MN4x4 said that a house he is familiar w/ HAD TO have an interior vb, even though the whole basement is below grade. That does not sound good.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote