Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

insulating a basement ceiling

whats the best insulation to use and cheapest for a basement ceiling?
Is there a better way to soundproof it?

ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

I used Reflectix aluminumized bubble wrap on my basement ceiling. Seems to work pretty well, plus it keeps the aliens from listening in on my thoughts when I am doing woodwork down there.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Soundproofing Guy

Rewards Points: 150

Standard fiberglass batts work as well as anything. You can use materials that say "acoustic" or "sound" but they will not perform better.

Having said that, the best defense against the sound is mass. 5/8" drywall, rather than 1/2". Consider doubling it up.

Other enhancements would be decoupling the drywall from the joists by various means, and damping the drywall.
Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
Standard fiberglass batts work as well as anything. You can use materials that say "acoustic" or "sound" but they will not perform better.

Having said that, the best defense against the sound is mass. 5/8" drywall, rather than 1/2". Consider doubling it up.

Other enhancements would be decoupling the drywall from the joists by various means, and damping the drywall.
thats what im goin to do,im using double 5\8 rock with batt insulation

thx Ted
ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Soundproofing Guy

Rewards Points: 150

Another beneficial tweak is to install wood or metal furring channel to the joist bottoms. These strips would run perpendicular to the joists. Space these rows of furring every 24". Then attach drywall to the furring, not the joists.

This is very inexpensive, but the drywall panels will flex more, you will have far fewer conduction points, and the result will be higher isolation.

Wood furring strips from Lowe's or Home Depot are about 5/8" thick. Metal Drywall Furring Channel is 7/8".
Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote