Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Insulating the basement

I'm finishing my basement as well. I'm about to install the 2" foam tongue and groove to my walls with PL foam adhesive. The walls are painted with Drylock paint. Do you know if this adhesive will stick to the painted wall???

Red Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Insulating the basement

It will stick for a while, but I'd recommend some type of fastener in addition.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Insulating the basement

Thanks. Would a Hilti gun be too much and punch right through the foam? or would concrete screws be better?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #4

Insulating the basement

foam sheets should be mechanically attached to the foundation, that means not just glue. what I did was drill holes with my hammer drill, then I inserted a short piece of copper wire in the hole in the concrete, and drove in a plastic cap head roofing nail. The diameter hole that I drilled was bigger than just the nail, but was too small for the wire and nail to fit without hammering. This was easier and cheaper than other fastening methods like tapcons. I think that a hilti fastener would smash the foam down too much.
06bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #5

Insulating the basement

How many did you use per sheet? I'm using 2x8 pieces. Since it's so light I was thinking 1-2 concrete screws would work per sheet.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
General Contractor

Insulating the basement

I have always used Tapcons, usually with washers, for this. I suppose they are relatively spendy. I have never tried something like the nail & wire combo, but it it works, by all means.

One alternative is a batten system. You get to skip the washers, and the holding strength of Tapcon is distributed more widely across the weaker foam.

If the wall is dead flat, you could use furring strips instead of very light battens, and hang the drywall off the strips.

Another option is to build a conventional metal or wood frame interior wall and use blocking to wedge the foam in place between the new wall and the basement wall.

No matter what you do, tape or seal the foam board seams.

There are also specialized integrated systems for this, but I have never used one and assume that they cost a fair bit more than Tapcons.

Good luck,

Rory

RDG Read Development LLC
Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #7

Insulating the basement

Thanks for the input Rory. If I install foam boards first and then framing is it necessary to have a gap between foam board and studs??
If not than I could use the studs to help keep the foam board up in addition to the adhesive. My reluctancy to put holes in the wall is because I just sealed and waterproofed the walls.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
General Contractor

Insulating the basement

RT,

The correct foam can and should make contact with the concrete on one side and the studs on the other. Make it as tight you can.

You might well find that the basement wall is not as straight or plumb as your new wall, so you may need to scab some blocking or shim to wedge the foam in place. I would also use a construction adhesive between the concrete and the foam.

You can definitely diy this, but there are life safety, moisture management and best construction practices to take into account when finishing a basement.

Consider purchasing http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...ent.aspx?ac=fp (Or get a subscription. I use it all the time.)

Good luck,

Rory

RDG Read Development LLC
Portland, OR

Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote