Insulating Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Insulating basement

I want to look at insulating my rim joists as well as the basement walls (cinder blocks). I tore down everything due to mold issues. There used to be tar paper (that goes outside, not inside!), paper faced insulation, vapor barrier, and the studs were 2x2's.

I pretty much have an idea of how to do the rim joists, using the rigid foam and some caulk and possibly expanding foam.

For the walls I've heard it's good to put rigid foam as well, then the studs, and fiberglass and vapor barrier. So that's what I plan to do. Is this the right way? Considering all this, the wall wont be able to breathe, is that ok? I think the fact that it could not breathe was the main cause of the mold to begin with. Am I suppose to somehow let it breathe, like not insulate a portion? From my understanding I don't insulate the bottom,but still put the vapor barrier.

Also for the foam, how exactly do I put it on the wall? Do I just use some kind of caulking to glue it on, then vapor barrier tape between the seams? Also would I go straight to the ground or leave a foot or so? From my understanding I still need a bit of heat loss so the weeping tiles don't freeze.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Insulating basement

I have been a member for like a week and seen this same question 20 times, but I will answer again

Attach the 2" ridgid foam to the concrete with concrete screws and adhesive. Tuck tape all the joints so no moisture gets through. My suggestion is to buy a spray foam kit and spray foam the entire rim joist down to your new ridgid. Then install the studs, insulation, vapor barrier and drywall.

Advertisement

wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote