Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #1

Share |

Insulating an attic for finishing

My home is 3 years old and the builder left a walk up attic that was wired and roughed-in for HVAC so the attic space could be finished easily. I am in the process of finishing the attic and I am ready to insulate. This is what I plan to do and I would appreciate any comments on where I may be incorrect or should take a different approach. My home is in Chicago so we get both very cold winters and hot humid summers.

1). HVAC connected in the attic and it is on it's own zone
2). Install plastic baffles anywhere that I will be insulating directly on the underside of the roof to allow for ventilation.
3). Install kraft faced fiberglass batts(R38) on all knee walls, sloped rafters, and ceiling (flat so there is a gap in the remainder of the peak). When installing, staple kraft to inside of the rafters/studs vs stapling to the face of them.
4). Install a single layer of 5/8" drywall

I am not installing a separate vapor retarder as I believe the kraft suits that purpose. Please review my approach and if I am taking an incorrect/inefficient approach please let me know where I can improve.

Thanks in advance.

Graye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graye2 View Post
3). Install kraft faced fiberglass batts
Sounds like you are pretty well there. I would encourage you to look for better insulation, though. FG is the bottom of the barrel. Rock wool, cotton, or cellulose batts will do you better. Make sure the cott or cell is treated w/ borates. I assume you are going to sheet rock? Read about the airtight drywall approach. Chic MAY require a true vapor barrier (visqueen has about 0.06 perm rating), so check w/ local officials. If you only need "1 or less perm" then the ADA will work. Tenoarm is apparently a far superior VB to visqueen, if you need a true VB. Check w/ the inspector.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #3

Do not side staple: http://oikos.com/library/insulating_...lls/index.html

Use white or yellow f.g. batt, not pink with convective loops (low density): http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_n8582994/

1/2" drywall may work, ask your B. D.
Use house wrap on attic side of knee wall, add plastic bagged f.g. under and over in bays, butting the baffles: http://www.simplesavings.coop/simple...ee%20walls.pdf

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 12-14-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote