Insulating Against Exterior Clapboards - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Insulating against exterior clapboards

My house is built in 1863 (that is not a typo it really is 1863), so it has had a lot of work done over the years. We noticed that one wall is really cold so we took off the plaster today and found some loose cellulose insulation and then there is just the backside of the clapboards. I have seen other walls in the home and there are at least planks underneath the clapboard, but not here.

How do I insulate this area? I was thinking of gluing some of that foil back material that is sold in sheets with the foil against the clapboard backs. Next I would staple in some 3” insulation with the moisture barrier out towards the house. Then I would drywall as normal. Does that sound right? I have heard that insulation should not be “sandwiched” between vapor barriers. Does the foil side of the shething count as a vapor barrier?

Yes I know this is not ideal, but there is NO way I am going outside and replacing all that clapboard. Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Advertisement

Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

dont use the foil .Get a roll of house wrap and fit that inbeteen the stud bays then the fiberglass with the vapor barrier towards the inside

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Another thing you could do before you put the sheetrock on is to put on a 6 mil. poly vapor barrier. It will help keep the draft down.
Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I had to go ahead and do this project before I saw any of your answers because it is below zero where I live, and the room was getting cold. First, I placed tar paper against the clapboard backs. Next, I put Dow Super Tuff-R foam board against the tar paper. The blue side faces toward the out doors and the shiny silver side facing in toward the inside of the house. Third, I stapled 3 fiberglass insulation with the vapor barrier facing in toward the inside of the house. I will of coarse then put drywall over all this.
Does that sound adequate and appropriate? Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

sounds great to mewell done tar paper good idea
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

I would spray foam around the foam board to make sure no air was leaking in around it.

Advertisement

scowl is offline   Reply With Quote