Insulating An 2nd Floor Overhang - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulating an 2nd Floor Overhang

HI,

I was hoping someone here could help with a suggestion on how to deal with this issue. I posted this in flooring but I think it might be better over here.

About 4 feet of two of my second floor bedrooms overhangs our front patio. Both these rooms are freezing. I'm about to lay new hardwood and figured while I have the subfloor exposed I might as well lift up some of that plywood and insulate this section of the floor. Standing under those rooms on the patio I can see a vent on either side of the house. Not coming out of the side but straight down. I'm not sure why they are there or what purpose they serve or if they'll cause a proble once I insulate.

Can I insulate this floor from above and is there anything to take into account given these vents are there? I REALLY don't want to go in through the bottom/outside. The house is 25 years old...not sure why they didn't insulate them to begin with.

Any help or direction would be awesome!

Advertisement

Shifterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifterson View Post
HI,

I was hoping someone here could help with a suggestion on how to deal with this issue. I posted this in flooring but I think it might be better over here.

About 4 feet of two of my second floor bedrooms overhangs our front patio. Both these rooms are freezing. I'm about to lay new hardwood and figured while I have the subfloor exposed I might as well lift up some of that plywood and insulate this section of the floor. Standing under those rooms on the patio I can see a vent on either side of the house. Not coming out of the side but straight down. I'm not sure why they are there or what purpose they serve or if they'll cause a proble once I insulate.

Can I insulate this floor from above and is there anything to take into account given these vents are there? I REALLY don't want to go in through the bottom/outside. The house is 25 years old...not sure why they didn't insulate them to begin with.

Any help or direction would be awesome!
You never mentioned if this over-hang is supported by posts.
I would assume that the b/r floor joists run continuously from under b/r floor and 'look out' the 4' to form the over-hang!
If this is the case, I would cut a pair of round holes in the floor with a hole saw, into each joist cavity. Then blow cellulose insulation into each area!
Depending where you live, insulation should have been installed there already. You may find insulation there already. Just not enough! If so this may be a problem if was installed immediately under the floor. If it was installed lower down against the soffit, blowing more cellulose in on top would work.
You should remove the outside vents and have a look to see what their purpose is!
Maybe someone would have an idea of their purpose, however its my thought that these vents have no useful function!

Advertisement

Last edited by Wildie; 03-05-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Wildie,

The overhang is supported on posts outside. I suspect the insulation is right under the subfloor. I looked through a small hole and it appears to be a yellow bat of some sort. As for the vents. The front of the house is on an angle and shingled. Like a very sharp angled roof. Not sure how to best explain that. Anyways, I think the vents may have something to do with the small cavity that would be between the roof and the actual inside wall...as the inside was is not on a similar angle, its straight up and down.
Shifterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifterson View Post
Thanks Wildie,

The overhang is supported on posts outside. I suspect the insulation is right under the subfloor. I looked through a small hole and it appears to be a yellow bat of some sort. As for the vents. The front of the house is on an angle and shingled. Like a very sharp angled roof. Not sure how to best explain that. Anyways, I think the vents may have something to do with the small cavity that would be between the roof and the actual inside wall...as the inside was is not on a similar angle, its straight up and down.
A photo or two would help to give advice. I'm thinking that you may have a Gambrell roof (barn style) but unless you are familiar with the names for various roof types, I'm just guessing!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

If you're seeing some yellow stuff i bet whoever did the construction did put some effort into insulating those overhangs but frankly putting some batting in there is a total joke. A neighbors bathroom was so cold because of infilration from their 2 foot overhang that a pipe froze on him. He was so enraged he cut off all the siding under that "soffit" (but not really a soffit of course because air flow is NOT necessary) and cover the entire underside of that overhang with plywood and re-sided the overhang bottom.

I can't figure out why guys think just putting some batting in there is acceptable. Where those joists end at that overhang is the equivalent of having a wide open window where that overhang sticks out. I say get the hole as big as you can and stuff those cavities and then even cover with wood before you seal up.

I knew then what i know now when my overhangs were being built i would have had them boxed and filled, not just left open at the bottom and covered with cute vinyl siding from the underneath. It''s like a have a 10 inch wide open gap (2X10 joists) running the length of my house and they think some flimsy batting will keep the winter out.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowguy View Post
If you're seeing some yellow stuff i bet whoever did the construction did put some effort into insulating those overhangs but frankly putting some batting in there is a total joke. A neighbors bathroom was so cold because of infilration from their 2 foot overhang that a pipe froze on him. He was so enraged he cut off all the siding under that "soffit" (but not really a soffit of course because air flow is NOT necessary) and cover the entire underside of that overhang with plywood and re-sided the overhang bottom.

I can't figure out why guys think just putting some batting in there is acceptable. Where those joists end at that overhang is the equivalent of having a wide open window where that overhang sticks out. I say get the hole as big as you can and stuff those cavities and then even cover with wood before you seal up.

I knew then what i know now when my overhangs were being built i would have had them boxed and filled, not just left open at the bottom and covered with cute vinyl siding from the underneath. It''s like a have a 10 inch wide open gap (2X10 joists) running the length of my house and they think some flimsy batting will keep the winter out.
You are right about it being open! The wind wll blow right in there! I would seal it up, also!

Advertisement