Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to mwehnes
Share |

Insulated room is too drafty.. Why?

I just finished a 6 month remodel of our master bedroom, bathroom, and closet (Wife is happy).. Now it's December and we are finding out the hard way our closet is very cold (wife unhappy) and I can't figure out why or how to fix it.

Two story house built in 1980. The closet is in the attic space over the garage and is the only 'living space' over the garage (see attached pictures). There is R-19 insulation between the 2X4 studs (walls / Ceiling). However, the walls are cold to the touch and I can feel a draft down by the floor. It's either a draft or just all the cold air moving around. The closet is vented and receives more than enough heat from the HVAC system.

Question is.. how do I improve the heat retention of my closet? would sealing the attic exposed side of wall with plastic help? Do I need to control the temp in the attic to control the temp in the closet?

mwehnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #2

The faced insulation that you used on the wall, shouldn't the vapor barrier be facing the living space? You might want to check any light fixtures/electrical outlets that you may have in the closet

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
General Contractor

As stated, looks like you missed the direction of the facing. Fiberglass is poor insulation, and without a vapor barrier, next to useless. Since the wall is open, to make your wife happy, have a contractor blow in cellulose and then sheetrock it...you will be amazed.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #4

I think he's showing us pictures off the unfinished space BEHIND the closet walls.

Did you insulate the ceiling of the garage/floor of the closet?

Also, doesn't R-19 go in a 2x6 wall? Perhaps the fiberglass is too compressed, and delivering less than r-13.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to mwehnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
I think he's showing us pictures off the unfinished space BEHIND the closet walls.

Did you insulate the ceiling of the garage/floor of the closet?

Also, doesn't R-19 go in a 2x6 wall? Perhaps the fiberglass is too compressed, and delivering less than r-13.
Nate is right. The pictures are of the unfinished attic space around the closet. I didn't show the inside of the closet because it is all drywall. The paper face of the insulation pictured does face the correct direction towards the living space. Ceiling is insulated with R-19 facing the correct direction.
mwehnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #6

Did you insulate the rim joists on the exterior wall or seal off under the closet so the cold air from the attic doesn't go under the floor? How many unheated sides does the closet have? Looks like two, the entrance from the bedroom and the first floor. With 4 unheated sides I would have put foam board over the unheated sides. The thickness would depend on where you live. If there was sufficient heat for the room, as it's now insulated it would not be cold.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote