Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

To insulate or not to insulate?

I'm going to redo a bathroom and kitchen in my house, which has a brick exterior. I have the bathroom gutted to the studs and I noticed there was no insulation between the old tub/surround and the brick wall. Is this common? Do I need to frame out a wall to insulate it or will I be ok?

thanks

brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Insulate if it will save you money or help keep the tub water warmer. Use eps or xps, no fiberglass, and no vapor barrier. If you do install any sheet rock, make sure it is for humid conditions, and make sure your bathroom fan is working and the ducting is sealed. This may be a good time to install a Panasonic Whisper Green fan, if a fan is needed.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Does it actually have studs, or was the exterior wall only framed with furring strips??? If furring strips, what was suggested above, unless you have the space needed to install a full frame for R19 or better insualtion.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote