Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #1

Share |
Question

insulate inside basement closet?

we are in the middle of a basement remodel and there is a storage closet under our stairs to the basement. the stairway is against an exterior north wall - and i don't think there is insulation behind the drywall - don't know if i'm going to tackle that one BUT the closet under the stairs obviously has the one wall to the north - and then one small wall to the east that would be our foundation, but then has bricks - and then there is a piece of thin wood paneling - no insulation.
My question is - is it worth it to pull that wood out and put in some insulation - i think it's only framed on the edges with 2x4's so i could put in styrofoam sheets - (maybe) 2 in" if that.
the ceiling of the closet - is the floor in our kitchen which is at the top of the stairs, has a sliding patio door to the north - and then firedoor to the garage. our house is about 1 ft above the garage floor.
that patch of floor has one heat vent - but the floor right there is VERY cold. I don't know if i take the ceiling panel of wood out of the closet if i'll be able to get to the rim joist - which i'm sure is not insulated just like our unfinished side of the basement - did that a while ago.
would that even help keep that part of the floor warmer? i read on a gov site about energy/heat that it's not usually beneficial to insulate the ceiling in unfinished parts so is it worth it to do it?

qchawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

Well if you can get at the rim joist in that area I would insulate it -- you felt it was worthwhile to insulate the rest of the rim joists in the unfinished area you said.

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #3

i insulated this area and have to say that our floor is much warmer - when i pulled the paneling out i found the rim joist in that area was not insulated and alot of cold air was making its way into the house this way. with a heat vent in that area - it's now insulated and the air out of the vent is nice and warm now.
qchawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote