Insulate Gap B/ween Chimney And Framing Inside, Yay Or Nay? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,040

insulate gap b/ween chimney and framing inside, yay or nay?

I am debating whether to stuff this space with fiberglass insulation or not. The advantage of not doing it is because the chimney (pictured left) is usually warm, radiates heat so why not piggyback on the smoke's way out.

Thoughts?

Name:  ForumRunner_20120429_162531.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  21.1 KB

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,098

Should be fire-blocked with tin between floors: How to fireblock framing

Make sure the pipes have a pitch for the flue gases to rise and out. Seal the smaller pipe where it joins the larger pipe with mastic (if not already done) as in the fire-block thread. Furr the narrow frame wall next to the tub for room to tile, it appears the wall is recessed behind the tub face...

Gary

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #3

thanks ... i put a piece of drywall on the floor (right above the pipes and on top of sole plates). but the original question was really whether to thermally insulate the vertical gap between the cement board on the right and the chimney on the left of the picture.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 746

Not sure how your going to be able to finish out that wall on the left, in the picture it looks like you must have added some more subflooring or some pretty thick underlayment and now there's nothing left to attach the bottom of the rock to.
That whole also wall also does not come out far enough, not sure how your going to finish it off around the tub.
But I'm sure you have a plan in mind.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure how your going to be able to finish out that wall on the left, in the picture it looks like you must have added some more subflooring or some pretty thick underlayment and now there's nothing left to attach the bottom of the rock to.
That whole also wall also does not come out far enough, not sure how your going to finish it off around the tub.
But I'm sure you have a plan in mind.
it's a gap and there won't be any finishing on the wall on the left. it's an open view, there will be cement board and drywall covering the opening, which is not there now so that i could take the picture and show it.