Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #1

Share |

insulate basment

I have a bi level home that was build in 1969, and it is a concrete foundation, the problem is that when the house was build, it was not insulated, my question is how do I insulate the bottom floor without removing the sheet rock, because I know that you need to put something on external concrete walls to keep the moisture away from the insulation.

fbilesii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

insulate basment

The only sensible thing to do is remove the sheet rock and do it right. Otherwise you will be wasting time and money.

The best thing to use on a concrete or concrete wall on a bi-level is to put extruded foam (1 1/2" minimum) of the concrete portions. When you get the sheet rock off, you will expose the wall and determine if the upper portion of the basement wall is wood. If that part is wood, stuff in the unfaced fiberglass since it is better than nothing and add foam to bring it out to match the lower portion. Apply 6 mil poly as a vapot retarder uber the sheet rock.

If you find you have a concrete portion is stripped and less than 1 1/2" thick remove that and install 1 1/2" of foam and cover with sheet rock.

I am assuming you are in the colder part of the state. More information will provide a more accurate answer.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote