Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insulate attic and between roof and closets

My sister-in-law just bought an old home. There is no insulation in the attic.

Picture a clasic older home with a steeply pitched roof and gables on each end. The steep roof renders the upstairs only a third liveable, with finished closets behind kneewalls under the lower parts of the roof.

In the center of the home, there is a small attic, that covers about half the house. It will be easy to insulate. I could easily get in there to blow in cellulose.

But I'm not sure what to do in the areas with cathedral ceilings. You can see down these cavities from the attic, all the way to the top plate. The rafters are true 2X4, 16" on center.

I could just blow cellulose down into each cavity, but I'm worried about leaving air flow space. I don't think I could manage to slide a baffle down that far, but maybe. I've worked with cellulose before and I'm not sure I'd trust that the baffle would stay tight against the sheathing when I blow in the insulation.

Another thing I'm worried about is filling up the eaves with insulation. One weird thing is there do not appear to be soffit vents.

Could I slide fiberglass down each bay?

BTW: this is in the Seattle area, so moisture is a concern, but not a big problem since we heat during our wet season

scool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Insulate attic and between roof and closets

Sounds like a real tough one. I am not at all a fan of FG, esp lying exposed to air like that. I will be almost worthless. Can a foam cat get his/her gun down there and spray closed cell foam? Apparently that eliminates the appropriate worry about venting above insulation. That sounds to me like about all you can do, effectively. Let us know what you decide. j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote