Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Share |

installing a whole house fan

hey everyone im gonna be installing a whole house fan , my question is do i have to cut any joist can i just set it on top of 2 joist then box it out with 2x8 on the sides ??? any other tips or hint i will welcome thanks

ILLEGALVENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Always learning...

How do you plan on installing it? On top of your ceiling joists, in-line, or on an attic wall?

Last edited by fetzer85; 05-08-2010 at 12:02 AM.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Totally screwed together

The only thing the joist might do is add turbulence, which would just mean more noise and slightly less efficiency.

You could frame it up and try it. You would have to fur out your bottom louvers so they would open instead of hitting the joist.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #4

well i was doing some research and the direct drive fan i was gona buy has a lot of bad reviews , so i guess ill have to get the belt drive 30 inch i was gonna put on top of joist i dont know what in line is, so am i ok cutting joist ive just never had ta do it im sure i could do the project just lacking confidence on the whole joist thing, i want it as quiet as possible so i will end up cutting out the joist just need to know if the ones i cut are ok to be cut
ILLEGALVENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

i Have installed 4 whole house fans, you should get instructions that are quite good that come with it, do not cut the joists you build around them with one in the middle. the louver cover that go's in from the bottom has a built in panel that is where the joist is. i bought a tool that is a vibrating cutter that cuts drywall great, sold in any hardware or home store. time about 4 hours to put one in..
tothebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #6

I cut mine (joist), just tie it to the adjacent joists with a cross piece.

I put in a 2 speed belt drive ( at my old house) and it was fairly quiet on the low speed.

Get one with a timer.

They move lots of air so be sure you have adequate attic ventilation, like say a ridge vent.

If you have blown in cellulose you may consider building a ducting a few feet above the unit as the likely dust storm may clog your vent screens.

One of the minuses of a fan is in a heating climate , how do you insulate

them during the winter.

If I was to put one in again ( and I won't because of allergies) I would build an insulated box above it with a gasketed and insulated hinged lid.

You could close it up for the winter from the inside ( accessing between the louvers) using a rod.

Last edited by High Gear; 05-10-2010 at 01:13 AM.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote