Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Share |

installing vinyl siding by myself

Being retired and home alone during the day, I wanted to go ahead with our siding project while I had the time. Unfortunately, getting a 12' siding piece to "lock in" is next to impossible for one person, especially when you are working from a scaffold and ladder above the ground. After fighting three rows, I figured out this trick. Maybe it is known by everyone but me, but here it is for anyone who can use it.

Start 3 nails about 16 inches above he top of the last installed siding course, one 2 feet from each end of the next siding piece and one near the middle. I then hooked 1/4" by 12" light weight bungee cords into the slots of the new siding. Put the hooks in the slots about 8 inches apart and centered on the nail locations.

These bungees came from Harbor Freight in a bottle of 24 assorted bungees for about $5. They look like the kind you might use to hold a water bottle to a backpack, not substantial at all.

Drop the three bungees over the nails. That will support the piece slightly above where it will end up. Start "locking in" at the overlap with the previous piece, pulling the siding down as you move toward the other end. Adjust the tension on the bungees by moving the hooks left or right as needed.

Loose nail the piece, remove the bungees, move the 3 nails up about 8 inches, and you are ready to go again.

This works even if you are working from multiple ladders.

I still have one side of the house to go, has anyone got a better system?
rickdulaney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickdulaney For This Useful Post:
dogris (04-29-2012), Ravenworks (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #2

Just when you thought you heard it all.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #3

i know what its like working by yourself. you have to come up with creative ways to get things done.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

must be some floppy stuff your working with
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
JOATMON

If you don't have a continous surface to walk on...that sounds like a pretty good way.

When I did the top front of my garage, I made a scaffold to walk on....so I would just click in the middle....tack in a nail and then work my way to each side....

But to do that with just ladders? Sounds like you have a 'safe' way to do it.

Side note....I'm becoming a big fan of scaffolding.....I just bought a used 10' x 3' x 7'H roll-around scaffold....$150....well worth the money.....so much so I will most likely never sell it....it breaks down to a small footprint so it will be easy to store. It's so much easier to use it to reach stuff 10-14' up in the air.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdulaney View Post
Being retired and home alone during the day, I wanted to go ahead with our siding project while I had the time. Unfortunately, getting a 12' siding piece to "lock in" is next to impossible for one person, especially when you are working from a scaffold and ladder above the ground. After fighting three rows, I figured out this trick. Maybe it is known by everyone but me, but here it is for anyone who can use it.

Start 3 nails about 16 inches above he top of the last installed siding course, one 2 feet from each end of the next siding piece and one near the middle. I then hooked 1/4" by 12" light weight bungee cords into the slots of the new siding. Put the hooks in the slots about 8 inches apart and centered on the nail locations.

These bungees came from Harbor Freight in a bottle of 24 assorted bungees for about $5. They look like the kind you might use to hold a water bottle to a backpack, not substantial at all.

Drop the three bungees over the nails. That will support the piece slightly above where it will end up. Start "locking in" at the overlap with the previous piece, pulling the siding down as you move toward the other end. Adjust the tension on the bungees by moving the hooks left or right as needed.

Loose nail the piece, remove the bungees, move the 3 nails up about 8 inches, and you are ready to go again.

This works even if you are working from multiple ladders.

I still have one side of the house to go, has anyone got a better system?

I don't understand why you would need to do that.
I sided my entire house recently by myself with 16' long vinyl siding using just a ladder.

I didn't have any problem locking the next piece in place; I used screws and one screw in a slot near the middle holds it from falling over while I attach the rest.

Now, I did use .046 siding; if you're using .040, it's going to be 'floppier'.

Whether screws or nails, make sure you are 'hanging' the siding and not fastening it tight.

Arky
Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
siding aluminum, siding installation, siding vinyl