Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #1

Share |

Installing T&G with crown on ceiling

I have installed 1x8 T&G several times in the past without too much hassle, but my resent job much of the T&G has a crown on the groove side which makes it very difficult and time consuming to install. I am face nailing using a gun with 15 gauge nails. Any Ideas???

Rionewberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #2

You should be nailing through the tongue to keep it tight. If you are having a problem with getting the joints tight, I usually drive a chisel or shark grip into the joist to and then bend it into place. Sometimes having an extra pair of hands makes all the difference with the stubborn pieces.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #3

I have installed T&G in several rooms without too much hassle, but in my latest project much of the 1x8 T&G has a crown on the groove which makes it very difficult and time consuming to install. So how do you hold one end in strong enough to force the other end in and is there a special tool to do that?? I am face nailing using a gun with 2 1/2 " 16 gauge nails. Thanks for any ideas!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Can you explain "crown"? Are you trying to put crown molding up on top of the T&G?
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #5

You are in luck. I just got finished with the same project and had the same trouble. I always say I get really good at it about the time I get done with it. The answer is clamps. They make long ones that are adjustable and will hold several pieces of t/g at once. You have to pull the crown tight against the last board or you can push it tight against the last board. They make a set of clamps that do both at large home improvement stores for about $20.00. They have rubber protectors on them to protect the wood. After I found these I can't remember how I did without them. Also are great for straightening rafter tails in exposed porches etc. Get the kind that will push or pull. Good luck.
joan smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #6

I am installing 1x8 tongue and groove on a ceiling. The T&G has an upward arch (crown) on the groove side. The lumber is arched along it's entire length so trimming ends does not help. After nailing in one end, even with 3 nails, it pops out as you work your way down the board, and on many I couldn't figure out how to get enough pressure to wedge in far end even using a pry bar. Using a hammer and board, the T&G would just pop right back out.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #7

Thank you, next time I'm at the hardware store I'll look into that.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #8

2 Threads on the same subject have been merged into this thread
Thanks - Dave
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Rionewberry,

Could you go to this link, look at the illustration and lets see if this clears anything up.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar..._Crooked_Wood/

Also:
What is the material (pine, oak, cherry,____)?
Are your boards running parallel to your ceiling joists or perpendicular?
Is there existing drywall on the ceiling?
I am assuming that if there is a "crown" on the grove side there is also a "crown" on the tongue side?

Paul
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #10

I think these are called ratcheting bar clamps/spreader. You may have to tack a block of wood on rafters to get leverage. Mine are very long 2 or 3 feet. Good luck.
joan smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #11

The last ceiling I did like this we were able to move the pieces together with a chisel driven into the ceiling joist then pry against the tongue to snug it up.

Iit sounds like you have the need to move it further than that...would something like the BoWrench work?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionewberry View Post
I am installing 1x8 tongue and groove on a ceiling. The T&G has an upward arch (crown) on the groove side. The lumber is arched along it's entire length so trimming ends does not help. After nailing in one end, even with 3 nails, it pops out as you work your way down the board, and on many I couldn't figure out how to get enough pressure to wedge in far end even using a pry bar. Using a hammer and board, the T&G would just pop right back out.

You are doing this the hard way. Load it up and take it back and get some straighter material!
framer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer53 View Post
You are doing this the hard way. Load it up and take it back and get some straighter material!
Best advise so far.